iPhone 5 to iPhone 6 plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dingo Dave 69, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Dingo Dave 69 macrumors regular

Been toying with upgrading from a 32gb iPhone 5 to a 128gb iPhone 6 plus. I can get the plus with £200 off so not a bad price at £600 however it's still a lot of money. Trying to decide if it's worth the upgrade. What has your experiences been?

2. kcaz507 macrumors newbie

kcaz507

I went from the 5 to 6+, honestly I tried to love the 6+. I kept the 6+ for 5 days and it just was to uncomfortable for me, also, it did not fit in my pocket well. I swapped for the 6, I like it much better, but have been considering swapping for a 5s, but I am going to give the 6 a bit more time.

3. Dingo Dave 69 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, honest views like this make me think just to stick to my five and but a five plus or a swven

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Are you able to return it and get s refund if you don't like it?

I'm one of those that just couldn't go back to a smaller iphone if I tried. Whenever I picked up a 5s it just felt too limited for me.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I feel the same way. I love my Plus.

6. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

My iP6 and iP6+ are both vastly more useful to me than their tiny predecessors.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I went from a 5 to a 6+ and it's totally worth it. Makes me wonder how the hell did I even use a 4" screen for the past 2 years.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Same here.. 5 to 6 plus. Nice change up for me.

9. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

I went from a 5 to a 6 to a 6 Plus. I still have both my 6 and 6 Plus but there is no way I could go back to a 5. I prefer the plus but love the 6 as well. I don't plan on upgrading again until the 7 or whatever they'll call it.

10. kousuke18 macrumors regular

+1. Bought the 6 to replace my old iPhone 5 and then just got a 6 plus today. I will be selling the 6 and keeping the 6 plus. :)

11. ReanimationN macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

I made the same transition and I can't help but feel that the Plus model will be truly great in a few years. As it is, very few apps take advantage of the huge display, it feels like it needs a bit of refinement to make it more comfortable to hold and the battery life, while decent, is nowhere near as good as I thought it'd be. It's still a good phone, it's just not blowing me away like the 5 did when it first came out.

12. Matheew944 macrumors regular

UPgraded my 2 year old Iphone 5 to an Iphone 6 Plus, the biggest change is the battery thats last me 2 days!, and how fast it is. I am sure when IOS 9 hits, Iphone 5 will be slow so as the Ipad 3

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I went from an iPhone 5 to a 6 Plus and couldn't go back now.
    However, if I hadn't been spoiled by the larger screen and much improved battery life I wish I had stayed with the i5. That phone did everything my 6+ does, and was also way less buggy (*providing you don't update to iOS8). Many don't run into the issue, but the 6+ reloads browser tabs MUCH more readily than the iPhone 5 does and so for that reason alone I would stick with the i5 until the 6S comes out later this year. The 6S will have more RAM, which will undoubtedly cure the browser reload issue, and it should also have a less buggy version of iOS.
    Just my ten penneth.

14. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I went from a 5 to a 6 Plus and haven't looked back. £600 is a great price for a 128GB 6+, so if you really don't like it you can always sell it and recoup your money.

Having said that, I'm not sure why you'd want to. The 6 Plus is a brilliant phone - the screen is beautiful, the battery life is amazing and the camera is definitely a step up from any previous iPhone. iOS 8 is a slightly different story - it is quite buggy, but that's more of a universal flaw with iOS devices at the moment rather than one specifically with the 6 Plus. Hopefully iOS 9 fixes most annoyances.

15. Viscerol macrumors newbie

5 16g to 6 Plus 64g. Just got it yesterday. I do have bigger hands. It's a little heavy one handed, and a case is gonna add some bulk, but I think I'll be fine. I really dig the screen. I rarely use the "phone" feature. It will mainly be a tool for browsing and light productivity.

I have a MacBook Air and was toying with buying the 6 and an IPad Air, but I figured I would kill 2 birds with just the Plus.

I don't care for landscape home page (yet) and I don't like waiting for the screen to flip around when I pull it out of my pocket, but I'll manage. I love Touch ID (coming from a 5) and it is so much faster. And it's nice to to really have some empty storage. Camera is much much better too.

It makes the 5 look puny and slow.

16. Dreads macrumors member

I went from an iPhone 5 16 gb to the monster 6plus 64gb and I gotta say how the hell did I watch so much sky go on my old iPhone 5 this 6 plus is truly epic yes it's a bit more tricky to hold if like me you have small hands but you adjust to it the screen is amazing and I could never go back to the smaller iPhone now let's see what they do with the iPhone 7 next year!

17. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I went from a 5 to a 6 plus and never looked back. I don't use a case so I don't find the plus big and cumbersome like some. In fact it took only hours to get use to the big size.

18. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

iPhone 5 to 6 Plus as well. The 6 Plus is just too big for me. I tried to stay with it, but the thing just wore on me for too long. Trying to one hand extend my thumb across the screen to tap a far icon can be a chore and make me lose my sure grip on the device while I'm walking around. Luckily I haven't dropped it, but the Apple leather case also makes it grippier. The naked phone felt like soap when trying to do these acrobatics. I have slightly above average hands from what I've been told. Ended up missing the return window so the wait for the 6S is on!

First of all the display is the most beautiful display I've ever seen. That's the first thing I'll be sad to leave behind. Although I think a lot of it has to do with the color and how close the pixels seem to the surface of the glass. Those two points are the same for the regular iPhone 6. The extra density is nice, and somewhat noticeable to my young-ish eyes.

The software is a disappointment. Landscape keyboard is gimmicky. I never use those extra buttons and just wish I could split the keyboard like on the iPad as it's kinda wide to thumb type. Same goes for the tabs across the top in landscape Safari. Furthermore, many third party apps don't take advantage of the extra space like the first party apps do with side column content.

In particular, my 6 Plus has had a lot of problems crashing—mostly in Safari but sometimes in other apps. The latest update helped somewhat, but it's still worse than my iPhone 5. I really can't wait until I can get my iPhone 6S later this year.

19. mickeydean macrumors 6502

I have had almost every iPhone and I really enjoy the 6 plus despite Safari crashing, the unwieldy size, or the RAM (switching apps requires refreshing which I think means more data use if it involves refreshing data).

My latest upgrade was from the iPhone 5 64gb to the iPhone 6 plus 128gb. I can fit all my medical textbooks, music, and apps. The screen is good but the design is a tad slippery so I use a case (tech21) that works fine.

20. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I upgraded from a 5s to the 6+. The screen is great, the battery lasts all day long(and then some!), it's fast and just a joy to use. By far my favorite iPhone.

21. FieldingMellish Suspended

22. Zanton68 macrumors member

How do you manage with the size difference? I'm used to having my phone in my jeans pocket and doubt the 6+ would fit or not get damaged.

23. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

The size has not been a major issue so far. I don't wear jeans all that much and when I do, they are not slim fit, just regular. I'm a larger guy, 5'11" 215 lbs. There are times its noticeably larger but not annoyingly so. While I still own the 6 as well, I may end up selling it because I mainly carry my 6 Plus. That may change when the weather gets warmer and I'm wearing less clothing.

24. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

I love it... I got used to the size within a couple days...

what you can do is buy a 6 Plus at an Apple store and try it out for 13 days (they have a 14 day return policy, no questions asked)... if you get used it, keep it and get rid of your 5; or keep it if you wish... if not, return the 6 Plus and have them activate another SIM for your 5... there may be fees for the new SIM but you can usually get that waived...

25. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I purchased both the 6 and 6+ and I will have to admit that it took three tries of switching back and forth before the 6+ became my daily user.

I can not imagine going back to a smaller phone but it is personal preference and each has to make his own choices. There si no right or wrong, it is what ever works for you!:cool: