Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarkingGhost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlanta+35 miles
I think these two products use the same exact SIM type under the same carrier, no? My current iP5 was bought from TMo some four years ago off contract. Bought a SE today and want to pop the SIM from the old phone into the new phone. Not looking to transfer data that wouldn't otherwise be on the SIM itself.

Anyone foresee an issue here?

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
There shouldn't be—it's the same SIM type. I did this last year (5 to SE) with AT&T. As long as the SE is unlocked, or locked to T-Mobile, there shouldn't be a problem.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I think these two products use the same exact SIM type under the same carrier, no? My current iP5 was bought from TMo some four years ago off contract. Bought a SE today and want to pop the SIM from the old phone into the new phone. Not looking to transfer data that wouldn't otherwise be on the SIM itself.

Anyone foresee an issue here?

Very little data stored on SIM cards these days. None of your data would be on there.

Reactions: Applejuiced

BarkingGhost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlanta+35 miles
This afternoon I backed up the iP5 in iTunes using encrypted backup. Powered off the iP5 and moved the nano SIM to the SE and powered it on. As it powered up I connected it to the computer and when prompted did a restore from backup. All went well--really surprised. When it finished it had only 23% battery charge so i plugged it into a wall charger and left it alone for a few hours.

This evening I noticed something very strange. If I pick the phone up from my lap or a table/desk the lock screen flashes and then goes back to standby mode (screen off). If I am holding the SE in hand with the screen locked in sleep mode/standby and then tilt my hand (as if to show my palm) again the lock screen splashes on briefly and then off again.

I have never seen this behavior before. Its not in a case or anything. My wife's 1-year old SE doesn't exhibit this behavior. Is this normal? Any sudden movement--and I mean even a gentle nudge--produces the behavior. Wondering if I should take this back to the Apple store and get one swapped out if this isn't normal.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
This afternoon I backed up the iP5 in iTunes using encrypted backup. Powered off the iP5 and moved the nano SIM to the SE and powered it on. As it powered up I connected it to the computer and when prompted did a restore from backup. All went well--really surprised. When it finished it had only 23% battery charge so i plugged it into a wall charger and left it alone for a few hours.

This evening I noticed something very strange. If I pick the phone up from my lap or a table/desk the lock screen flashes and then goes back to standby mode (screen off). If I am holding the SE in hand with the screen locked in sleep mode/standby and then tilt my hand (as if to show my palm) again the lock screen splashes on briefly and then off again.

I have never seen this behavior before. Its not in a case or anything. My wife's 1-year old SE doesn't exhibit this behavior. Is this normal? Any sudden movement--and I mean even a gentle nudge--produces the behavior. Wondering if I should take this back to the Apple store and get one swapped out if this isn't normal.
Settings - Display & Brightness - Raise to Wake?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.