iPhone 5 touch screen not responding

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LayeAF, Jul 17, 2014.

1. LayeAF, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014

LayeAF macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Unfortunately I managed to drop my iPhone 5 16GB but luckily it was the rear end that hit the ground. After checking it over, I noticed that on the right side of my screen I have lines from top to bottom and the phone no longer responds to touch when I try to unlock it. The screen is NOT cracked and if I was to receive a text for example I can still see it clearly on the screen.

Now, unfortunately Apple quoted me something in the region of £200 for a new one so I went to a small phone repair stall who quoted me £50. Ideally I'd rather fix it myself for cheaper though, but I just wanted to know exactly what the problem is. I have a sneaky suspicion that my problem is that the LCD is damaged but by no means am I an expert.

If anybody could help me I'd be extremely grateful. I'll provide a picture tomorrow.

Many thanks in advance

Léon

[​IMG]

It may also be worth noting that I did try a restore in iTunes but to no avail.

2. sideshow23bob macrumors member

Hmm, I know a small repair shop in the states that repairs 5's for $45 and did a great job with mine so it's definitely possible if you trust the merchant.

I can't isolate it further on what the exact cause is but I wouldn't rule out finding a non-Apple repair person/business.

Good luck.

3. LayeAF thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thank you for your time sir. Has anybody else got an idea on what my problem is? I'm looking to buy a repair kit online asap.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Prepare for possible disappointment as without proper diagnosis you may not be fixing the problem.

5. Jaguarr40 macrumors regular

Jaguarr40

Not truly knowing what it is and anybodies guess at best you would be better off seeking an authorized Apple repair shop where you live and let them repair ir where you will get and gurantee with the repair.

6. LayeAF thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok guys thank you for all of your replies. I'll take it into my local Apple store and see what they have to say and then I'll take it from there.

7. Narien macrumors member

I'm basing this on another thread I saw here on mac rumors about a screen having white segments at the top of the screen, compared to yours they where only at the top and they looked a bit more transparant (not solid white). The problem there appeared to be a lose screen connector, and solved by opening the device up, cleaning the connector and reattaching it.

As far as repairing an iphone goes, I have no idea how it's done, but I'm guessing all warrenties are lost, so if any warrent is still valid, see what apple can do first.

8. LayeAF thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply Narien. I get paid in a couple of days so I think I'll just drop it into my local phone repair shop as that seems like the cheapest option right now unless somebody is able to identify my problem for me on here before then.