Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vig01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Thanks for reading, I’ll first explain the bizarre:confused: issue I’m having, then I’ll go through what I have attempted and those results (spoiler: nothing worked).

I have an iPhone 5, the back glass was cracked so I ordered a replacement piece and then took it all apart and replaced the broken glass panel on the back (you need to take out a lot of pieces in order to get to this location on the 5). I’ve taken apart numerous iPhones and work very carefully with them (apparently not careful enough this time).

After replacing the glass with no issues I reassembled the phone and attempted to power it back on.

My home button and my lock button were both unresponsive

I plugged in the charge cord to get it to boot and once the phone was at the lock screen I entered my password and could navigate the phone just fine (without the lock and home buttons working). I took the phone apart and slowly rebuilt it making sure everything is where it should be and then tried to turn it on again.

My home button and lock button still didn’t work, and after booting it with a charger cable now my touch screen no longer responded to any touch gestures. After messing with the screen and pressing different locations it occasionally would somehow activate the home key and/or invert the colors (triple tap home).

Here is what I have tried:

Reconnect everything and make sure there is no dust and that everything is set in correctly

No Change

Replace screen with a working screen from another iPhone 5

No Change: This means my digitizer and LCD are fine (they worked on another iPhone5)

I’m completely lost as to what could have happened. My phones screen worked initially after my repair, the OS boots correctly and I can see (behind the lock screen) all my wifi bars and network connections which means the mother board, for the most part, is in working order.

I have checked the connections again and again and they seem fine (I can take pictures too but they look like any other iPhone5).

My last resort was posting to forums, let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks for taking the time to read and help.:(

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Assuming a connection got damaged. You probably can't see it but even a microtear in a single connection could cause all kinds of chaos. These phones are getting less user serviceable by the generation.

Vig01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Hi thanks for the reply!

Where could a connection be "torn"? The screen and digitizer all have their own flex cables and work perfect within another iPhone 5. And that iPhones screen also doesn't work in mine. The screen can't be the culprit here. My guess is something to do with the motherboard. I just don't know what I could be, everything was taken out carefully, nothing is bent (sockets) and everything fits in well. I'm not worried about the home and lock buttons, those could be a damaged flex cable and I can replace that, but this screen issue is a complete mystery. Maybe not placing all the correct screws back exactly in the same spots (incredibly unlikely to cause an issue like this just because of a screw).

Any other ideas?

Vig01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Anyone else have any ideas? I feel like I've tried everything at this point

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.