iPhone 5 troubles -- forgot its name?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WanderingPhilosopher, Jan 25, 2017.

1. WanderingPhilosopher macrumors newbie

I don't pay much attention to phone settings, but I'm pretty sure it used to have a name, e.g., "Beth's iPhone" or something like that. But now it's just "iPhone" with a "0" next to it.

The problem started because I recently changed the Accessibility settings to get larger font size for Messages. I decided I wanted to set it back, but turning off "Large Font" or whatever it was didn't seem to do the trick. That's when I decided to look around for the iOS info so that I could post a question here, and noticed the phone was just called "iPhone 0" now. At that point, a message about updating the iOS popped up, so I did. That didn't go too smoothly, maybe due in part to the password locking, but eventually seems to have happened. I think. To complicate matters, when I plugged it into the computer to see whether that would restore it, iTunes claimed it wanted to be updated. I hit "OK," I think, but when I came back to it there was no updating going on, and when I tried to quit iTunes it said it was synching "iPhone." It still is, and is taking a rather long time.

Open to suggestions on how to restore my phone's previous identity. Thanks in advance. Yes, I know I pay very little attention to how this all works until something goes wrong :(

2. macTW Suspended

I can't speak to the naming of the phone, but if you're updating the software through iTunes, the phone will backup itself first, which will sync new purchases and everything before the update, and it you haven't done this recently it could be a little while (half hour or more on occasion).

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Speaking solely to renaming your phone.

Settings app>General>About>Name

2017-01-25 12.21.09.png

Press on Name and you can rename the device.

2017-01-25 12.21.14.png