Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Hello all,

Today I tried to use turn-by-turn navigation in Apple Maps on my iPhone 5 and instead of giving me the normal turn-by-turn interface with spoken directions it just gave me instructions in green cards at the top of the screen that I could swipe left and right to move through. This is the second time this has happened when I really needed spoken directions because I was in a place I was not familiar with. This "mode" doesn't do anything for you automatically. For instance if you turn the wrong way it won't correct you. It simply waits for you to swipe to the next step.

I don't understand how this could be happening. When the phone is working properly, the only way I can get it to go into this mode is by disabling GPS in privacy settings. But even then it pops up with a message asking me if I want to enable GPS. When this new issue happens, there is no warning since GPS is already enabled. I can see the GPS indicator in the status bar at the top. But it's acting like it doesn't have any information on my position. I have a strong cell signal (4/5 bars) so I don't see how that could be.

Both times the issue "fixed itself" after a few hours and magically started working again, but not after I almost got into an accident trying to read the directions and swipe through them manually.

Any ideas?

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Anyone? I don't know what else to try and I can't keep swiping through directions as I'm driving.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.