iPhone 5 Upgrade Cost Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itisjoey, Jul 25, 2012.

1. itisjoey macrumors newbie

itisjoey

I currently own a 4S, and I love it. I plan on upgrading to the iPhone 5 on launch day. I have a plan through Verizon, and my 2 year contract won't be up when it comes out. I bought the 4S last December.

So I was wondering if I will have to pay the incredibly high full price for the phone, or if there was a way to extend my contract and get the contract price.

2. Marjamrob1 macrumors regular

You can pay the $600, or so. But you might be able to get a deal from Verizon if you call customer service, we did that through at&t. Just keep calling until somebody helps you :)

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

You can't exchange phones outside of 14 days. The chances of VZW letting you upgrade are slim at best. Also keep in mind that if somehow they do let you upgrade you will be moved to their new share plans and lose your unlimited if you have it. If you do pay full price you can keep your unlimited. After selling your current phone it'll only be around $300-$350.

4. infinity12402 macrumors member

No you will not have to move to the new share plans. But you will lose unlimited data unless you buy the phone outright for $650. But its highly unlikely they will give you an early upgrade to begin with.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

so, you will have the phone for under a year and you want to upgrade.

Financially, that is a big no-no for the carrier. They can not afford to subsidize another phone to make the customer "happier".

It will be two years, maybe a little less.

6. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

This is why I wish cell phone companies would move to a one year renewal of contracts. I know that their profits would significantly drop. Hopefully one of these days a carrier can figure it out. With this fast moving mobile tech I would defenitly sign up.

7. Purple2012 macrumors member

I have an upgrade in November with Verizon. When I upgrade Im going to loose my unlimited data unless I pay full retail price?

Fuuuuu

I thought that was only if you didn't have an upgrade to use....crap.

8. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Verizon did and stopped it last year. With the cost of subsidies I can understand why. If you want to upgrade every year buy for full retail is not a bad option. After selling your old one it's going to run you around $300 or so if you time the market right.

9. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I love how people just HAVE TO upgrade when they have a perfectly working 4S that they enjoy.

Seriously OP save yourself money and just stick with the 4S.

10. infinity12402 macrumors member

if you didnt have an upgrade to use, youd have to pay full price anyway

11. Minhthien macrumors 6502

Be happy with 2-years contract, ALL Canadian cell phone company make you sign 3 long years!!!!!

12. 617aircav Suspended

Wishful thinking there. They are more likely to start 3 year contracts. When new technology is released it does not mean that the older tech is obsolete.

13. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

That's what I'm doing. Sure, I'd love to have the latest design but I'm not paying that kind of money for a darn phone.

14. Purple2012 macrumors member

I ment it would break being grandfathered in.

15. infinity12402 macrumors member

You wont lose unlimited data if you don't use the subsidized price

16. Marjamrob1 macrumors regular

I get 1yr upgrades on my line, with AT&T, and my family gets 1.5 on theirs. We have 3 iPhones with unlimited, so that makes a big difference I guess.