Carrier iPhone 5 US Carrier use in Europe

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bartender4, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Bartender4 macrumors member

What I want to know is can I buy iPhone 5 that was originally bought from US carrier (at&t, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint), and use it in Europe on GSM Network.

I heard that all US iPhone 5's are unlocked for international GSM use, is that true (if no what carriers are unlocked).

And i also heard that I could use in Europe even iPhone 5 that has BAD ESN, because it's blocked only when using CDMA (I would use only GSM) is that true.

Thank you!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Verizon iPhone are unlocked right out of the box. A Sprint, T-Mo, or AT&T iPhone would have to be unlocked for use internationally. Each carrier has certain policies on when you can have your iPhone unlocked.

It would be best just to buy an iPhone that's already factory unlocked.

3. Bartender4 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not going to get contract and buy iPhone with US Carrier. I was thinking buying iPhone 5 from US on ebay, and use it here in Europe where I live. Because Verizon iPhone 5's can't be used on other network in US they sell them much cheaper. Also ones with bad ESN are even cheaper.

Would a bad ESN block a verizon iPhone 5 from using it on GSM in Europe?

4. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Yes, it would work 100%.

5. Bartender4 thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry for not quite understanding, did u mean iPhone would WORK or BLOCK would Work?

6. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Bad ESN VZW iphone 5 will work in Europe no problem at all. That's where most of them end up after being sold on eBay

7. Bartender4 thread starter macrumors member

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

However, if the U.S. carriers ever decide to really do something about stolen phones and share their DB with European countries/carriers .......

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Or if the buyer has a conscience and doesn't want to own a stolen iPhone that rightfully belongs to someone else, because that's what almost all bad ESN phones are.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

It never ceases to amaze me how willingly people will buy stolen property to save money. Way too many people have no conscience and little ethics

11. Bartender4 thread starter macrumors member

I don't understand how u people always thinkiPhone with bad ESN is stolen?
    There are so many iPhone with bad ESN that were made bad for not paying Carriers plan, and u newer think of those. Plus I can check what is the reason of blocking iPhones ESN, if seller gives me IMEI and i send it to carrier.

Of course I don't want to own a stolen iPhone

12. Bartender4 thread starter macrumors member

Bad ESN iPhone ≠ Stolen iPhone, read above

I wouldn't buy stolen iPhone not because conscience of owning something that was stolen or is not mine, but because it's CRIME. Because most of the time people that buy new iPhone have enough money so It's not such a big deal (I AM IN NO WAY SUPPORTING OR DEFENDING THEFT).

I'm just trying to save some money, here where I live cheapest iPhone 5 that's in OK condition is about 650$, iPhone 5s is 1100$. So in US It's WAY cheaper.

And why not get iPhone 5 from US that has bad ESN and use it on GSM, if I check it isn't stolen?

13. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

90% of the time its stolen. Why take that risk and just buy a clean ESN iPhone like most normal people.

To answer your question, countries don't share ESN blacklists so a banned iPhone 5 in the US will work in the EU/UK fine.

Take note that the Verizon iPhone 5 uses different LTE bands than the AT&T iPhone 5; so you need to check to see the carrier you use corresponds with that LTE band.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE

14. Bartender4 thread starter macrumors member

Even if they do share DB with EU, here no one uses CDMA. ESN isn't important at all for GSM use. So that's not going to happen.