iPhone 5 Usage Study

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brycemason, May 9, 2013.

1. brycemason macrumors member

I'd like to understand the norms of iPhone 5 battery time better so I wanted to collect some data. If people reply to this thread in sufficient numbers, I'll post a nice graphic summarizing my results. Post as many times as you like; I'll cluster!

Prerequisites to Participate:
    1) iPhone 5
    2) Start with a full charge
    3) Start with Usage / Standby close to zero*

Post the Following Data** Before Next Charge:
    1) Usage
    2) Standby
    3) Number of months iPhone has been in service (approximate age to control for battery degradation)
    4) Remaining battery percentage just before plugging in

* Although it is probably impossible to get the usage/standby to start at zero, because the iPhone has a circuit to stop charging at 100%, skip reporting data if you have more than a few minutes accumulated before beginning a new full-charge outing with your phone.

** You can get the bulk of this data under /Settings/General/Usage. It is at the very bottom under "time since last full charge."

Thanks!

2. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Not going to be a good study. for what you are only asking. Too many variables with some playing games, YouTube, music, lots of texting, and god only knows what else, to those that do not play games, music, and using it less than others, etc. Besides, there is a thread on how much battery life one gets already done. Do a search

3. brycemason thread starter macrumors member

Of course there is going to be variation due to the things you mention, but I'm not looking to explain all the variance. I just wanted to understand the tradeoff between standby time and usage time (on average). Don't threadcrap!

4. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Everyone's stand by time will be different as well. How is that going to help you or others ? Not a good study with that either.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

There are way too many factors for you to get a relatively good idea of what's going on. There is no standard to base comparisons. For example, Apple posts standby time, talk time, music playback and video playback. These can be easily tested and one can gauge battery life using these standards. But what you're asking is going to likely result in an extremely unclear picture of iPhone 5 battery life.

6. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Look at this thread and you will see battery usage and stand by if that is so important to you.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1450736&highlight=iphone+5+battery+life

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Also, I think "usage" on an iphone counts push messages...so it is going to be very inaccurate. Even if my I do not turn my phone screen on, but get a message my usage time will go up. Same thing for anything you have set notifications for.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

He is "threadcrapping" because he is pointing out why the study might result in useless information? If anything, I would say this is helpful and that you have to add more limitations. For one, I would completely exclude anyone who regularly plays games on their phones. I would bet that most working class individuals hardly play games on a day to day basis. Focus your efforts on them. That, alone, is likely to vastly improve your accumulated data.

10. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

I did understand but was just weighing in on the OP's request. His request would Not have nearly enough responders to have a meaningful gauge to use for anyone, and not useful by any means. Just a waste of time for someone that has nothing better to do with oneself, but to request people to weigh in with OP's study. ;)

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Now you're just restating my post. My conclusion agreed with you.

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

iPhone 5 Usage Study

Ill play.

1) 5:03
    2) 15:37
    3) Oct
    4) 54%

Mail, Messages, app updates, Dropbox, Facebook, tapatalk, Reeder, TWC, BeeJiveIM, Bank

13. brycemason thread starter macrumors member

Internet forum people often let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Here's a similar example of something I did on another forum. Obviously the three or four variables I studied couldn't explain **everything** about car depreciation, but it was useful nonetheless and well-received. And I only had 100 responses! I do and teach statistics for a living. I have plenty of things to do in my life, but was interested in making an honest contribution here.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/156277-how-much-did-you-pay-your-used-996tt-15.html