iPhone 5 USB Lightning 8pin cable from China

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by USBimporter, Oct 24, 2012.

1. USBimporter macrumors newbie

There are a lot Chinese companies offering USB cables with a copy of the IC. Supposedly the factories decoded it in China and copied it. They do say that its been tested to ensure the following:
    -ensure the USB cable charges iPhone
    -ensure the USB cable transfers data to and from the iPhone
    -ensure the USB cable will charge the iPhone if the battery is completely dead
    - ensure the USB charges both through a USB port on a computer and with a USB power adapter
    -ensure the cable works with 5th Generation iPod Touch and 7th Generation iPod Nano.

Now the only thing they are saying is that when iOS 6.01 comes out these USB cables may not work.
    Does anyone know if its possible that a software update can block the USB cable from working ?

2. itjw macrumors 65816

Yes. Because of the authentiaction chip they can block it via software.

They did this with the A/V adapters back with the 2G/3G phones. It's fixable through jailbreaking, but this would be my BIGGEST fear (bigger than them frying my device).

One software update could render every "knock off" adapter worthless (especially if you don't jailbreak or they haven't found a jailbreak at the time (like now)).

I know it's tempting, but DON'T buy em. Judging by your username I would also advise AGAINST selling them, unless you want a bunch of angry customers too.

3. solo118 macrumors 65816

I also noticed that the pricing is not far off from Apples. I have seen some for $9.99 + $5 shipping and others for $14 shipped etc. If you buy direct from apple the lightning cable is $19 + tax shipped. So the price difference is not much.

If it were $5 shipped it would be a different story as its not a big loss if a software update rendered them useless.

4. scyap macrumors member

Wow, that would mean you need to 'update' your Lightning Adapter?

Nice observation on his username, HAHAHA