iPhone 5 useless on edge?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appleguy123, Oct 2, 2012.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Regardless of how strong the signal strength, the moment I try to pull data using edge, all of my bars will go away for a split second and say that I have no Internet connection. In rural Missouri, this amounts to a significant usage issue for me.

Does anyone else's AT&T iPhone do this, or is mine a lemon?

2. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

If you are in an area with minimal coverage, AT&T might give you a microcell. It hooks up to the internet and you get full bars anywhere on your property. I have been using one for several years and they are fantastic.

Even if they do not give you one, you can buy a used or even new one on the Internet at eBay for a fraction of the real cost.

3. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

My home has 4G, but not LTE coverage. It's my college and surrounding areas with edge.

My iPhone 4S did not do this.

4. applefan022 macrumors 6502

Maybe you have an First Gen iPhone under the hood of that 5 casing, with edge network. Call AT&T and get a Microcell.

5. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Like I said, it isn't an issue at my home.

6. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Ask some of your fellow students if they have the same problem, in they do not maybe you have a defective device. If it is a large school the carriers usually have things covered.

If it is one of the new obama schools that just popped up to suck up our tax dollars and put you in debt, maybe the carrier is waiting till after the first of the year to see if they will still be there!!!