iPhone 5 useless on edge?

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Regardless of how strong the signal strength, the moment I try to pull data using edge, all of my bars will go away for a split second and say that I have no Internet connection. In rural Missouri, this amounts to a significant usage issue for me.

Does anyone else's AT&T iPhone do this, or is mine a lemon?

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Regardless of how strong the signal strength, the moment I try to pull data using edge, all of my bars will go away for a split second and say that I have no Internet connection. In rural Missouri, this amounts to a significant usage issue for me.

Does anyone else's AT&T iPhone do this, or is mine a lemon?
If you are in an area with minimal coverage, AT&T might give you a microcell. It hooks up to the internet and you get full bars anywhere on your property. I have been using one for several years and they are fantastic.

Even if they do not give you one, you can buy a used or even new one on the Internet at eBay for a fraction of the real cost.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
If you are in an area with minimal coverage, AT&T might give you a microcell. It hooks up to the internet and you get full bars anywhere on your property. I have been using one for several years and they are fantastic.

Even if they do not give you one, you can buy a used or even new one on the Internet at eBay for a fraction of the real cost.
My home has 4G, but not LTE coverage. It's my college and surrounding areas with edge.

My iPhone 4S did not do this.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Like I said, it isn't an issue at my home.
Ask some of your fellow students if they have the same problem, in they do not maybe you have a defective device. If it is a large school the carriers usually have things covered.

If it is one of the new obama schools that just popped up to suck up our tax dollars and put you in debt, maybe the carrier is waiting till after the first of the year to see if they will still be there!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.