iPhone 5 users, hows your battery usage?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by had0ukenn, Oct 24, 2014.

1. had0ukenn macrumors member

I have the iPhone 5 currently running iOS 8.1, and it seems like my battery took a hit with iOS 8. Im averaging about 5 hours, getting less now. I have reduced motion, toggled off background app refresh for many apps, and reduced contrast to no avail. I also don't qualify for the battery replacement program. Have you noticed a similar hit to battery life? Hows your battery usage?

Heres my battery usage from various days:
    http://imgur.com/a/H4gSi

2. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

Cool someone else with OCD as bad as me with taking screenshots of usage! Hey I have att too. I've found that turning off LTE when I'm home and on wifi is starting to save me some battery. If you have 3 or less dots of LTE I'd strongly suggest it. The "4G" hspa is usually full strength or 4 bars in my area maybe yours will be different. For whatever reason even when you are using wifi data the phone seems to suck more juice with a low cell data signal.

But your numbers look very similar to mine but a little less. I'm averaging about 5.5 to 6. Depending on brightness and what I'm doing. Sometimes I can squeak out 6.5 but never like the days of iOS 6 where I have gotten 8.5 hours of usage!! I have a new battery too. It was replaced along with the lock button a couple months ago. I have all the battery saving settings too. Reduce motion, no push email, no background refresh, all that stuff. I get the 6 hours on wifi if I'm at home and my brightness is 10-40% too. My usage is mostly safari some Facebook and tweetbot. But I'm not idling much so the CPUs are keeping very active. I think that's about as good of battery as the 5 will get from here on out. If I'm on strictly LTE and follow my same usage pattern the battery will be toast in about 3 hrs. Hope this helps!

3. MrGuder macrumors 68020

I'm getting between 6-7 hours on my iPhone 5 running 8.1 so it's about the same as iOS7. I don't see any difference with battery.

8.1 is what should have been released instead of 8.0, so far much smoother and lag is gone.

4. NeoX360 macrumors member

After I installed 8.1 i charged to full and then let it drain to 1%. It ended at 8 hours of usage and 2 days some odd hours standby. I Have 8 email accounts including three push and the rest IMAP, have not turned on any settings to save battery life other than turning off a few apps from using location but no tweaks to background app refresh. Mail fetches for IMAP is set to every 15 minutes.
    Appropriately my usage shows 36% mail...
    My iPhone is recently purchased as a certified pre-owned, so it was supposed to come with a new battery. It came in late August and was pre-installed with 6.x from which I upgraded via ota to 7.1.2.
    Then 7.1.2 directly to 8.1 upgrade via iTunes skipping 8.0.

Just so you know the history attached to the numbers above.

5. had0ukenn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply! I was thinking about doing a fresh install, not from back up. I feel like my battery is below average, though.

Thanks for your input. Wish mine had 6-7 hours of usage, it used to be very good but since iOS 8 it just went to hell.

Thanks for your reply. Thats really good, i had to disable all sorts of various features, I'm thinking of doing a clean install and not restoring from back up.

6. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Heard the battery is always volatile for 1-2 days after the update because of some unseen background processes going on or something like that...

I'm going to update my 5C to 8.1 through iTunes. For some reason, downloading the entire firmware through iTunes always seems to be a more 'stable' option to me than OTA software update. Could be just me.

7. had0ukenn thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, i heard about the "indexing" going on after the install to iOS 8. Im way past that part, though. I always update via iTunes just for that reason, i always some some post where someone says OTA may have caused some problems, i rarely update OTA.

8. mhdena macrumors 6502

My 5 is fantastic as its still on 6.1.4:D

My 6 is on 8.0.2, doing OK.

9. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Mine on 8.1 is about the same as 7.1.2. Pretty decent, actually. I can go all day without charging until I go to bed. I've turned off Background App Refresh, Bluetooth, location services unless an app is actively accessing location, and I close apps out of the switcher when I'm not using them. Never had too much trouble with battery except for 7.1.0.

Attached Files:

10. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

I'm getting slightly better battery on 8.1 now. I've always averaged 5.5-6 hours on my 5 on 8.0.2 and earlier. Can now break 6 hours regularly. When at 5% left.

11. masands macrumors regular

This is my usage. Would have gotten more if Infuse hadn't sucked my battery dry.

Attached Files:

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I have wifi, bluetooth, location services AND background app refresh on at all times and I get 8-10 hours of moderate usage on my iPhone 5

13. had0ukenn thread starter macrumors member

Out of curiosity, why did you decide to stay with iOS 6? I remember iOS 6 having great battery life, though. I guess iOS 8 is causing the drainage in battery.

Thats not too bad. Dat Facebook usage tho haha. I also have all those things turned off, kind of frustrating to get just 5 hours of battery usage =(

Are you still on 8.0.2 or updated to 8.1?

Wow, thats pretty good. Are you doing anything to conserve the battery? Never heard of Infuse, though.

That is pretty amazing. Did you recently get your battery replaced or anything? Did a clean install?

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I always got this kind of battery going back to my 4S. I don't have unnecessary apps installed and have decent cell coverage in most places (low signal drains battery).

I don't close apps in the switcher either.

15. masands macrumors regular

No stock battery since 2012. I've installed iOS 8.1. I did a full DFU restore to iOS8 and that made a massive difference to performance and battery.

My settings are:

Background App Refresh Off
    In Privacy, System Settings turn OFF everything except for Find My iPhone.
    I have 3G (no 4G in my area)
    No Bluetooth. Don't use it.
    Perspective Zoom is off.

I also deleted the Facebook app and use the web browser. I don't trust Facebook one bit, even with BAR off.

Oh, Infuse is an app to watch movies. I use it to watch my movies on my Apple TV.

16. ReanimationN macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

I'm actually quite impressed with iOS 8.1 on the iPhone 5, my battery life has been fine and its performing so well I'm considering holding off upgrading my phone until next year when the 6S Plus will be released. I'm not keen on getting a super high-resolution phone with 1GB of RAM after experiencing what it's like on the Air 1.

17. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Facebook is a massive battery suck but I can't seem to live without it :/ Hence why I try to keep it closed when I'm not using it. Battery usage depends on the day. Sometimes Facebook takes that top spot, and other times it's Safari.

18. masands macrumors regular

I decided to do another DFU restore. WOW! Huge difference in battery. Thanks Apple! This is equal to iOS6 battery life! I can happily keep this phone for another year.

Attached Files:

19. neo8824 macrumors newbie

Do you stream something with Safari or just visit normal websites? Those numbers are too good to be true...

20. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

Hmmm I'm thinking he's got a lot of screen off time to get those kinds of numbers... Remember you can get up to 40 hours of usage playing just audio. Looks like he was doing some music in background while taking a jog. I could get that too if I kept my screen off.