Resolved iPhone 5 (Verizon) jumping between 3G and LTE after drop

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Ok, normally I would think I was just having service issues with Verizon, but it almost never happens at home. Basically I was out and about today and accidentally dropped my phone in a store. I have an otterbox defender, and this is probably the first time I've really dropped it. I didn't really notice it at first, but my phone is not really receiving LTE anymore. I can intermittently get it, but I'm mostly on 3G now. Normally I don't have issues getting LTE in the Kansas City area. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, but I worry that maybe the antenna was damaged or something. I've tried switching to airplane mode and back as well as turning the phone off and on again. I have AppleCare +. Anything think it's worth a trip to the Apple Store?

Last edited:

Caesars

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2013
I'm not sure if the apple store does this, but a service/repair center I worked in formerly could test the reception on phones and tell you if it was broke or not.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Hmm. Maybe Verizon can test it. Their store is much closer than Apple. I'd rather not have a 3rd party open it up in case that voids the warranty.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
If it really is a problem I think the apple store will use regular AppleCare so the replacement would be free and wouldn't use your AppleCare+

That's if the phone doesn't have any dents or cracks

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Verizon store didn't seem to think that anything was wrong with it. Told me to reset the network settings. Seems to be working for now. If it comes back I may take it in to Apple.