iphone 5 volume down button doesn't work

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tundra12, Jul 5, 2014.

1. tundra12 macrumors newbie

I originally had a problem with the power button so I replaced the Audio Control and Power Button Cable and now the power button works but the volume down button doesn't work.

Is there something that I broke maybe? Any idea which part of the ribbon cable controls the volume down button?

Thanks for any info!

2. cynics macrumors G4

I would think you may have disconnected or broken something internally.

That said my 4S does that on occasion, resetting the phone (home + power until you see the Apple logo) fixes it. It's pretty obnoxious and I have no idea why it happens. Although I haven't had the issue (or at least remember) since iOS 7.1 which I did a restore as new when updating.

3. Charadis macrumors 6502a

The volume buttons are part of the same flex cable that the power/sleep button is on. It is possible that it was not installed correctly, or the button was defective prior to installation.

I've received replacement flex cables with defective sleep button in the past, but I think it is possible for the volume buttons to be defective, as well. It is good practice to test the parts prior to installation. Sent from my iPad.

4. tundra12 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thanks.
    Any chance it can be the connector on the IC board?