iPhone 5 vs. 4S on T-Mobile

Cursor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Good afternoon all,

I just bought an iPhone 4S and paired it with T-mobile, which, on the coverage map, shows that I am well covered in and around my immediate area.

For some reason my phone keeps going back to Edge, and I rarely get the "4G" signal.

My questions is: if I had an iPhone 5, would I get better data speeds, since it would be built to run natively on T-Mobile's network?

My last day to return/exchange it hassle-free is today.

Thanks.

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
Yes. The refarmed 4G 1900 band has poor coverage.

Buy the iPhone 5 that has AWS 1700/2100 to get better 4G coverage.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
My questions is: if I had an iPhone 5, would I get better data speeds, since it would be built to run natively on T-Mobile's network?
You would get better data coverage.

the 4S does not support T-Mobiles AWS spectrum so you will only get "4G" running on T-Mo's 1900MHz spectrum.

Return and upgrade to iPhone 5 which supports "4G" over 1700/2100MHz (what is shown on T-Mo's coverage map.)

Go to airportal.de to see a 4S-applicable coverage map.

Cursor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
This might be a stupid question, but I always thought Apple products only had a two-week hassle-free return policy. My receipt for the iPhone says that I have 30-days to return it for a full refund with no restocking fee. Did something change?

Last edited:

rockitdog

macrumors 68020
Mar 25, 2013
This might be a stupid question, but I always thought Apple products only had a two-week hassle-free return policy. My receipt for the iPhone says that I have 30-days to return it for a full refund with no restocking fee. Did something change?
Apple's return policy is 30 days. Great return policy!

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
you were mostly correct. all of apple's products have a 14 day return policy except for the iphone. this changed during the iphone 4 press conference apple held july 16th, 2010 following the antenna gate issue. at the time, i thought it would be a temporary thing (like the free bumper), but it's a policy that stuck around.