Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccwestcliff

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Toronto, ON
Having read the majority of "is the iPhone 5 battery life good / bad / whatever" threads, I just wanted to say that one reason to sell my HTC One X that I had since May and after my iPhone 4 lock button decided to stop working was the experience that with all my iPhones (Original, 3GS, 4) I made it through an office day with medium usage without having to charge in the office.
In order to achieve this with the HTC One X (lovely phone btw, no offence) I had to switch off all background syncing, GPS etc and still after 100% charge in the morning got home at 6pm with only 15-20% charge left or nothing if I used it for more than 3hrs that day (just browsing, twitter and email, no heavy gaming that is!). Same experience with other Android phones I owned btw.
And yes, the HTC One X screen is 0.7 inch bigger and it has two more cores, but I frankly don't care! If a phone is not capable of surviving an 10hr work day with medium usage (3-5hrs browsing, texting and some calls) it is unusable.
With the iPhone 5 I don't use LTE (as my provider doesn't offer it) and have Gmail switched to 15mins manual download (don't really need push) and got home with 50% yesterday after medium usage through the day.
So for me, this is just another reason why the iPhone 5 is a great phone!

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
With Android LTE phones, it's not really the phone or LTE per se. Android has some really bad battery draining apps (like Facebook running in the background, Whatsapp, where's my droid).

I can easily make it over a day with my S3 when I owned it.

The iphone 5, I get about 6-7 hours of "real usage" and about 10 hours of standby. That's a full day and can take me to about 8-9PM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.