Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeadeyeM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Hello there, can any one comment on audio quality for these devices? I've head that some like iPhone 5 some don't, some prefer iPhone 4S or iPod for better audio quality, just wanted to know your opinion guys/girls :)

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Audio quality is subjective, sometimes even imagined. So you're going to get all kinds of different opinions on this.

There are slight differences in the hardware used to decode and play back audio, but your listening experience is more likely to be affected by the quality of the sound file, and the type of headphones or speakers you're using. Both of which are interchangeable on any iDevice.

Last edited:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Honestly asking "audio quality" from a phone is like talking power on a Civic.

The "serious" audio people seem to pair their portables with an external headphone amplifier + (NOT) stock earbuds. Go headfi.org if your are serious.

----------

Hm 660 views and no reply :)

Am guessing 9 months but not a whole lot of air hours? ;)

DeadeyeM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012

The "serious" audio people seem to pair their portables with an external headphone amplifier + (NOT) stock earbuds. Go headfi.org if your are serious.

i'm not serious but more curious :)
----------

[/COLOR]
Anyone rarely uses the speaker anyway..

Sorry needed to mention that i'm talking about audio out from 3.5 using earbuds. Right now i'm having GS3 but i just feel that it's laking in audio. eh i wish i had an iPhone 5 to compare it.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
----------

[/COLOR]

Sorry needed to mention that i'm talking about audio out from 3.5 using earbuds. Right now i'm having GS3 but i just feel that it's laking in audio. eh i wish i had an iPhone 5 to compare it.

Go to the apple store.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ

This. In order to drive good quality headphones, you need an amplifier in order to drive the speakers properly. Since I'm not really going to carry one of those around with me, I just use the stock earbuds the iPhone 5 come with. Doesn't sound as good as my studio headphones, doesn't sound as bad as apple's last earbuds. Subjective subject really, depends on who you're talking to.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

Then u prolly want to go to the direction of, How can I make my GS3 sound better. Quick A, as mentioned above, file encoding quality and headphone. Beyond that, more seroiusness (legwork) will be required.

All here people can tell u are their subjective opinions. Ppl who are contemplating switching smartphone for audio purposes is a bit odd.

Last edited:

Born2bwild

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012

The iPhones and iPod touch have very similar sound quality (the 4S slightly edges out the 5). The iPads lag slightly behind, and android phones (even high end ones like G Nexus and SGS3) typically have worse sound quality than iPhones.

Of course keep in mind, when I say 'good' I mean for a phone/portable music player. Because no phone can compare to an excellent DAC and AMP.

Here is a comparison of Audio Quality from engadget:
FIIO E17 (reference): 298/300
iPhone 4S: 289/300
iPhone 5: 275/300
HTC One X (global): 239/300
HTC One X (AT&T): 227/300
GS III (Sprint): 215/300
GS III (global): 213/300

Link

Last edited:

Born2bwild

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Actually.. The international S3 has the Wolfsan DAC.. Pair that to the Voodoo app.. It's the best sounding phone on the market!

Well, the engadget review I posted above used the voodoo app on international GS3, and got mediocre results.

I haven't tried the voodoo app myself, but I can tell you the stock experience was nothing special.

But from experience and various reviews, I know that iPhones usually have the best mobile DACs.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.