iPhone 5 warranty claim

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shah1, Jan 10, 2015.

1. shah1 macrumors member

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice. I've had my iPhone 5 since launch which was replaced under warranty the following year (2013), now I believe this handset is one of their refurbs.

I have recently noticed that the screen is lifting on the top right hand corner of the device. Now I've never dropped the phone and it has lived in a case since I got the replacement.

My question is, will Apple replace this phone despite being out of warranty? Or will I be asked to pay something upfront. Genie bar appointment has been arranged.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They may and they may not.

I hate to be so obtuse in my answer, but you're asking something that none of us can really answer with any level of certainty.

3. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

You will have to pay for repair, the phone no longer has warranty.

Can I ask why you think apple would replace the phone while out of warranty? It's an interesting aspect of apple owners, that I find fascinating , these threads pop up all the time.

Though you never know, get the right Genius, and you might get free repair. I say good luck either way.

4. bushido Suspended

bushido

Depends on the genius you get. I got the display, battery and the whole housing on my rMBP replaced for free a few months back even though the warranty expired over 12 months ago. Another genius and I wouldn't have been this lucky I am sure

5. shah1 thread starter macrumors member

I believe they should replace it - surely its a manufacture fault?? There is no reason for the screen to come away from the corner when the phone has not been dropped or mis treated.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

You got a pretty good shot at it IF the phone shows no abuse.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Using that logic, all manufacturers should provide lifetime warranty as manufacture defects are never our fault?

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Playing Devil's Advocate here, I can see the OP's point. Craftsmen offers a lifetime warranty on their professional tools. Sears will replace them, no matter how long ago you bought them.

But I also see your point as well. An iPhone is not a solid hunk of metal, it's a device that even when protected, sees use every day. Parts are delicate.

People seem to think that cases are these magical items that will somehow protect a device from every threat and problem. That's just not so.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, many tools can last a lifetime hence the lifetime warranty. Phones are throwaways just like any electronics.

10. shah1 thread starter macrumors member

Well its worth a try. Of course will let you guys know the outcome - visiting the genius bar next fri.

11. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Probably because the battery is buldging and causing the screen to lift. If the genius confirms this, good chance it will get replaced for safety issues.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Good point if that's the culprit.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If it's out of warranty they don't have to do anything.
    If you get lucky and they make an exception it's a possibility and worth a try.