iPhone 5 water damage; help me please!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Hall151, Apr 24, 2014.

  1. Hall151, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

    Hall151 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2014
    #1
    Hi my friend gave me his iPhone5 he dropped it in the water and has never been able to open it again. the only thing when the device is pluggeg the apple logo comes ON but the phone never opens, as soon as you unplug it the logo goes out!

    Could this be a battery problem?
     
  2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

    ideal.dreams

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2010
    Location:
    OH
    #2
    I highlighted the issue. If he turned it on right after it fell in water, then it's likely he short-circuited some of the components and fried something inside the phone. Did he leave it in rice for at least 48 hours before turning it on or plugging it in?
     
  3. Hall151 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2014
    #3
    he was drunk so he only did that the morning after! he tried to open the device and nothing hapenned so he did put it in the rice after a day or 2 he plugged it and the logo appreared but as soon as it is unplugged it shuts off
     
  4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

    Applejuiced

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2008
    Location:
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    #4
    So it's probably fried.
    You can try repairing it by purchasing components but that can get expensive.
    Bring it to an iPhone repair shop so they can take a look at it.
     
  5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #5
    He could try putting it back in the rice for a while longer, but chances are it is dead. He can take it to an Apple store for an out of warranty replacement for $269.
     
  6. sjstar950 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2014
    #6
    melted chocolate seeped into iphone 5s screen

    I was putting my phone in my pocket, camera side down, but i forgot that there was some melted chocolate in my pocket. I didn't realize until about 3 minutes that my phone had melted chocolate on it, and by then it had covered most of the top right hand corner where the camera is, except on the front. I looked at my phone, and there weren't any water marks on it that were noticeable. so i wiped the chocolate off, and put it in my other pocket. About a couple hours later, I took out my phone, and I could see water marks all over the top right hand corner, as if the melted chocolate had gotten into the screen. There were darker splotches all over the corner, and it was darker as if the colour was fading, even when the brightness was 100%. It seemed to be getting worse as the hours passed, as I didn't have any rice to put it in. When I finally got home, I put it into some rice, and let it sit for 3 days. Now, it hasn't gotten anybetter, and it looks as if the splotches are just spreading down my phone. I don't know what to do, as i have no access to an apple store, but I am taking it to a phone shop place hopefully tomorrow, to get another point of view as if a screen replacement will take the chocolate out, and fix the screen discoloration. My questions are, will a screen replacement fix the water damage on my screen? How much will it cost to get it fixed without a warantee with apple? and Will apple replace my phone even though I don't have a warrantee?
    Thanks, and if you have any questions, just ask.
     

Share This Page