iPhone 5 waterdamaged

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by soga, May 12, 2014.

1. soga macrumors newbie

Hello,

I dropped my iPhone 5 in the toilet one month ago = water damaged.
    Everything works, the sound, the screen, the wifi.. you name it. Except that it cannot see my SIM card, and therefore cannot make any calls or use 3G. (I tested the SIM card in another phone, and it works perfectly.)

I went to a repair place in Copenhagen where they could not help me, I contacted my insurance which doesnt cover for it. I contacted the place I bought it which doesnt cover for it. I contacted apple whom said I had to contact the place where I bought it, I contacted them once again and they told me when its water damaged they do nothing, since they have to change the entire motherboard which contains the IMEI number.

This means my phone is worth 0$..

Im making this thread as a last hope to if anyone have eved fixed a iPhone 5 with this problem (my phone is useless now so if something goes wrong while reparing it I dont really care)

There are SO many people having iPhones and so many with water damaged iPhones, so I believe im not the only one who had the exact same problem.

Anyone eveeeeeeer tried to fix their iphone with this problem and had succes? Or somebody who knows a forum where they MIGHT be able to help me?

Thanks,
    Emil

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

You are far from being the only one with water damage.

There is little that can be done and it sounds like you will need another mother board or circuit board. Mositure can "short" things out and they do not come back when it is dry. Few people have the techonolgy to repair the board so it pretty well needs to be replaced.

You need to be sad for a while and then move on and get another phone as yours is pretty well useless except for parts and being soaked is water, not too sure what parts are still good.

In the USA you would pay a fee to have the phone replaced, it does not sounds like your dealer is even offering that.

3. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

It would be so cool if the 6 is water resistant like the Galaxy.

4. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I agree. My Motorola Defy was waterproof years ago. It's irresponsible of Apple to not waterproof their products.

5. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

Water corroded the connections in the SIM slot, try taking a thin steel brush and clean it.

6. AFDoc macrumors 68030

LoL that's a joke right? Maybe it's irresponsible for a person to drop their phone in water.... don't blame the manufacturer of a device for the owners incompetence.

Don't pass the cost of water proofing the phone onto the consumer because Mr./Mrs. Butterfingers could't hold onto their phone. If YOU want waterproofing on your phone pay for it yourself: http://www.liquipel.com/

If you're close to an apple store you should be able to get an OOW replacement for a much lower price. That's what I have done in the past when I was an irresponsible iPhone owner and got mine wet.

7. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I'm guessing you live in a place where it doesn't rain much.

8. chirop macrumors member

There are a few solutions online wich you can try and clean the sim-slot.
    No gain no pain right? , there's always that slight chance you can fix it.