iPhone 5 weird battery behaviour

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by noastick, Aug 6, 2014.

1. noastick, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014

noastick macrumors newbie

Hi guys.
    I registered so i could ask you for some help regarding my iPhone 5's battery life.
    I bought it in February 2013 and now I am seeing some bad battery life. Starting, today i JB my phone to install Batterylife and see how the battery was:
    Capacity: 990/1430mAh (69%). 525 cicles.

Not only is the battery draining fast, but it also turns off when there is supposedly ~30%. I can wait a little and then it will turn on, for a while, until turning itself off again. It does this until I charge it or until it actually dies.

Yesterday, for instance, it was around 5pm and started having this problem. It has become really annoying.

Some guys told me that it could also be the logic board. I hope it isn't as that would be very expensive to repair.
    I was thinking on replacing the battery myself, but I'm afraid I will buy a non-Apple battery. (I live in Argentina, where there is no official apple support).

Thanks.

EDIT: Btw, i did a DFU restore and i tried callibrating the battery.

2. Jhingha macrumors regular

Jhingha

What is your behaviour regarding charging etc?
    Always on the charger or you use it all day and let it drain until it prompts you ;low battery'?

3. noastick thread starter macrumors newbie

Before, as it lasted all day, i would charge it all night, while sleeping. Now, I ussually have to charge it before night, and then I will leave it all night too. So yes, i ussually wait for ~20/30% to charge it.

4. NodheadSoftware macrumors newbie

NodheadSoftware

What apps do you have installed?
    Which of them do you use actively?
    What about GPS?

5. bluemutiny macrumors newbie

I've got virtually exactly the same issue on my iPhone 5, and I purchased it at the same time as you! I also live in a country without official apple support...

I haven't jailbroken to find out battery stats, but I normally charge overnight and then again in the afternoon when the battery finally gives out. Using camera flash on anything less than 30-40% battery normally kills it (but will start up again shortly afterwards).

I make sure to disable wifi if I'm using 3g and 3g if I'm using wifi, and bluetooth is always disabled.

I'll admit the phone never leaves my hand, but when it gets below 40%, the battery is so volatile and it's very frustrating!

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sounds like your battery isn't all that good at this point. Best thing is to take it to Apple and have them check it out and see what they can offer you, but if that's not available then going with replacing the battery on your own or through some other repair service would be the only other way to go.