iPhone 5 white edge cleaning tips?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrisrosemusic1, Feb 13, 2013.

1. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

I've tried surgical spirit with an ear bud and on a cotton pad, I've tried a thin till receipt and today I tried a spare electric toothbrush head but I just cannot get the lint and grit out of the edge where the screen meets the plastic and the home button.

Has anyone else tried anything else?? I hate seeing it there lol..

2. SweetDove macrumors regular

I only have an iphone 4 so it's hard to tell what you're looking at. Do you mean where the home button is and the cut out around it (so it can move)? if so you might be able to drag a needle through it. that's what I do to clean gunk out of tiny places. Just be careful not to scratch your glass~

3. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

For me, this is something I wish Apple would change in the design of iPhones. This "groove" attracts so much dirt. Same on 4/4S. I use a thin post it note but it doesn't really help much. Wish they would have a flush screen like the iPad Mini with no plastic/glass bit

4. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Use a Piece of paper?

5. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

I tried everything to clean that area on my white 4s and never found anything to get it clean. My battery messed up so I got a replacement and I just kept it in a bumper to keep it from getting dirty. I'm glad I went with a black 5 because the dirt on the white 4s drove me crazy. It looked worst after 3 months than my black 4 did after 16 months.

6. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

A yellow post it note is thin enough. Try that!

7. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Ever just thought about blowing in the grills of the phone every so often to clear the dust? You never bothered to clean your phone or case ?

8. ok.Eric macrumors member

Totally agree with you. Once dust or lint or anything makes it in that super small gap around the home button, it's pretty much impossible to get out unless you disassemble the phone. If you put paper or something else thin in there, it'll just shove it down further.

Really hope they do away with this gap, maybe a touch pad area instead could work well.

9. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

i take a sewing pin, or a sewing needle (a thin one) and sort of "scrape" it out every few weeks. keeps my iPhone looking nice. of course i don't press down hard. i use this on all my devices. all are white, so it comes in handy :)

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I would just stop looking at it. LOL.

But OK, ur OCD, I would find the thinnest, but tough tacky paper/tape. Am thinking what women do when they want to remove legs' hair (ow!). Careful, don't pull the home button right out!

BTW, this thread is almost a year old.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah, I got a screw driver, opened the phone and wiped it with some alcohol swabs.

12. 1DApple macrumors member

What do you people do with your iPhones? I have never had this issue 4/4S 5/5S
    Maybe consider washing your clothes and hands. :D

13. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

There is hardly a needle thin enough to do this...my new solution, take the device apart and clean it.

14. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

I've been using a toothpick and alcohol pads on the corners/sides for the longest.

15. barkomatic macrumors 68040

This. Post it note paper is thin enough to fit in the small groove between the home button and the surrounding plastic. I have been able to successfully dislodge dust and other particles that become stuck there. It can take a few attempts though.

Some of these posts are probably sarcastic, but using alcohol or jamming a needle in that area sounds like it could be damaging.

16. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

there are plenty of needles that are this thin... and why void your warranty just to clean your device's crevices?

17. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I also use a thin needle, so there are definitely ones thin enough.