iPhone 5 Wifi issue? 5Ghz

antman2295

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
Hi guys and gals, I was just wondering if anyone else is having the same issue as me. My iPhone 5 seems to find only the 2.4Ghz signal, but not the 5. I thought maybe apple just needed to send an update, and as of last night my phone found the 5Ghz signal. Then when I woke up today the phone won't find the 5Ghz, but it will connect to the 2.4Ghz. Also I do know the 5Ghz signal is on, because my ATV2 is connected to the 5Ghz signal.

Any advice/tip will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Hi guys and gals, I was just wondering if anyone else is having the same issue as me. My iPhone 5 seems to find only the 2.4Ghz signal, but not the 5. I thought maybe apple just needed to send an update, and as of last night my phone found the 5Ghz signal. Then when I woke up today the phone won't find the 5Ghz, but it will connect to the 2.4Ghz. Also I do know the 5Ghz signal is on, because my ATV2 is connected to the 5Ghz signal.

Curious, how do you know what band it is using?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
5Ghz WiFi has a much smaller range than 2.4Ghz because it cannot penitrate things as well. Does your iPhone still see the 5Ghz when it is within 5 line of sight feet from the router.

The bands can be named different things.

jmxp69

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008

No problems with 5ghz here. Try manually setting a channel and try changing channels.

On many dual band routers you can set discreet SSIDs for 2.4 and 5ghz bands.

antman2295

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
Not sure, Ill go look and see, and like Intell said, we have the 5Ghz signal with a 5 in the name :)

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
I can't say I've had any problem running off the 5Ghz network of my Time Capsule, now the 2ghz network is practically unused apart from a printer.

antman2295

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
5Ghz WiFi has a much smaller range than 2.4Ghz because it cannot penitrate things as well. Does your iPhone still see the 5Ghz when it is within 5 line of sight feet from the router.

Nope. I stood right next too it, and no I didn't find it. :\

rychencop

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2007
Georgia
i had to delete my 2.4 network on the phone because it kept using that one as the default connection. no issues after that.

antman2295

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
i had to delete my 2.4 network on the phone because it kept using that one as the default connection. no issues after that.
Ok, ill try it and see what happens. Last night I know it found both at the same time.

----------

Sigh, no dice. Still is only finding the 2.4Ghz.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.