Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
So I've just upgraded from a 4S to a 5 (mainly because I wanted 64gb and I thought the chances of my being able to afford that after the 5S or 6 comes out are pretty slim).

Love the phone overall BUT I'm definitely having some issues with spotty wifi that weren't there with my 4S. I know the 5 had some problems with this when it first came out, and a few fixes were put out, and I kind of assumed it was all fine now - but it doesn't seem to be in my case, and I can't tell if it's because I just have a faulty unit or they're all generally still like this...

To explain - I can connect to wifi just fine, and use it ok, but it will intermittently disconnect - even when I'm literally sat next to the router, in the space of a few minutes I might see the network indicator briefly flick back to 3G or E before the wifi symbol appears again. This seems to happen more often when streaming video, eg from YouTube, and at times (particularly if I'm further from the router) it will take longer to reconnect, meaning the phone drops down to using cellular data instead - something I don't always notice immediately.

This is on vodafone in the UK - the router I use at home and notice this on a lot is a BT Homehub 3 with the usual default settings (wireless N, wpa2 etc) but I've noticed it on other hotspots too. Not using LTE if that's a factor - and no I don't have the phone in a case, or wear lead lined gloves or anything, I'm using it in the exact same way and on the same router etc as my old 4S which rarely, if ever had any problems like this.

So - does this sound par for the course with the ip5 or is it something to worry about? I've gotten into warranty exchange lotteries with Apple before (had a ridiculous run of 3GS's with dodgy screens and other defects) so I'd rather not go down that line if its just an outstanding software issue - but if what I'm describing sounds completely foreign to you and your ip5 has perfect wifi then obviously I want a phone like yours too please... Thoughts?

If it is a software issue - any news on a fix in ios7?

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
No wifi issues so far on iOS 7 beta 5. I've experienced the same issues you've said so far but when I updated my phone to the beta version of iOS 7, it seems they've got it fixed. So my advice, wait for the public version of the software, it should hopefully solve your issues on wifi. I'm using an AT&T iPhone 5 here at the US.

Last edited:

Dented

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
Thanks all - tbh Rayfire, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear, so I'm hoping you're right!

I think if I wasn't watching it like a hawk, or if my router happened to a different model or a little stronger or whatever, I'd have no problem either - 99% of the time it's absolutely fine as it is - but you know what it's like once you notice something... I'm going to cross fingers for ios 7 I think.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Thanks all - tbh Rayfire, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear, so I'm hoping you're right!

I think if I wasn't watching it like a hawk, or if my router happened to a different model or a little stronger or whatever, I'd have no problem either - 99% of the time it's absolutely fine as it is - but you know what it's like once you notice something... I'm going to cross fingers for ios 7 I think.
Hopefully it works for you. I've swapped my phone with Apple for twice so far and they all experienced the issue, till I just accepted the fact they all have it, but when iOS 7 beta arrived it got fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.