iPhone 5 wifi ok only when cellular off

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stiwi, Jan 6, 2013.

1. stiwi, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

stiwi macrumors regular

I have been reading many posts regarding iPhone 5 wifi issues. I have upgraded to iOS 6.0.2 but it looks like my iPhone 5 works properly with wifi only when cellular data is switched off.

If the cellular data and wifi are both switched on, iPhone gets confusing, switching between 3G / WiFi, losing WiFi connection on screen lock, takes ages to reconnect etc.

The above mentioned behaviour is the reason of quick battery drain.
    Anyone has similar issues?

PS. For troubleshooting I did network settings reset, forget wifi network and even entering wifi details manually. Using WPA2.

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Losing wifi on the lock screen is fairly normal, and has been part of iOS since version 2 I believe - it's there to save battery life. Whenever it does any background operations such as checking for email, etc, it will connect to Wi-Fi automatically - that's nothing to worry about.

3. stiwi thread starter macrumors regular

I know it is the way it is supposed to behave. But the problem is it doesn't go back to WiFi once I unlock the screen. Or it will come back sometimes after 5 mins eventually but until then it is using 3G. When cellular data is switched off, WiFi works properly and comes back as soon as I press the home button which is not the case if both WiFi and cellular data are switched on.

4. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

I always switch cellular off when there is wifi. After reading threads here of people ending up with huge cellular usage because they thought the phone automatically used wifi, I like to be sure it is not using cellular and especially LTE when I'm updating a lot of apps or streaming something.

And when my iPads only have cellular, I switch them to airplane mode when I'm not using them such as when I'm asleep ... Started doing that after reading threads here about huge usage overnight.

5. stiwi thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it is a solution but I can't see myself doing this forever manually. iPhone should keep the WiFi connection if available.