iPhone 5 wifi problems

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rubenk, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Rubenk macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've just bought an iPhone and I've got some problems with the wifi at home. I read that some people have problems with connecting to the wifi, but the strange thing is that that isn't my problem.

When I connect to the wifi at my home it connects fine, and stays connected. The problem is that it's really slow. I was connected to the wifi network of a friend, and there it worked fine. I've upgraded the firmware of the router, and tried a bunch of different settings.
    I've tried to remove the security (I know have WPA2-PSK AES), I tried changing the wireless from b/g/n mixed to b/g mixed. I did change the Channel Width from 40 mhz to 20 mhz. I tried a different DNS server in my iPhone settings. I checked with iStumbler which channel is the best, and changed it.

I just don't know what to do? Should I go back with my iPhone to the store? I just really bothers me that it works on some other network..

I hope someone can help me!

Ruben

2. falcon362, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

falcon362 macrumors member

Sounds like the problem I'm having

I am having the same problem.

My wifi works at home when it is the only network programmed into the phone. When I go to work and add the wifi in there, all is good. It works great. But when I come home, my home network is either very, very slow, or it hangs completely as if it losing the signal and then suddenly reconnecting...usually after I go into network settings and click on my home wifi SSID.

For it to work properly at home, I need to reset the network settings to delete my work wifi and then put back in the home wifi info.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Join the rest of us.
    My i5 is giving me wifi issues like that too at times.

4. GeekDeja macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. I cant get any Internet acces from my dorm room. However, I also setup my own access point with my mbp, iphone5 works great with shared Internet connection. But not the wifi from the school. My ipad 3 is also running IOS6 but dont have problem with neither of the access points. Apple senior advisor says ipad and iphone are different devices and they act differently :confused:

5. falcon362 macrumors member

How does one inform Apple of this problem so maybe iOS 6.01 can have a fix?

6. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I'd like to think apple is aware. Theres a shet load of people complaining.

In the beggining i thought it was a problem with the signal width, but i have my router forcing 40Mhz. So idk what the deal is.

asus rt-n56u

7. Rubenk, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

Rubenk thread starter macrumors newbie

Somehow I've got an improvement in connection. Below are some test results. Notice that the speed has a slow start and then raises (most of the times). Sometimes it just stays low.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maybe it has something to do with the settings I changed? But I thought I did reset everything to what it was..