iPhone 5 will not turn on after battery drain

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by apexi0000, Sep 9, 2013.

1. apexi0000 macrumors newbie

I bought an iPhone 5 off of craigslist (used it for about 2 months) and in June my charger broke in which I let my phone's battery drain. ATM I was using it as an iPod, so I didn't really bother to get a hold of another charger until a month later. I've used two different chargers, tried plugging them into my computer and laptop, tried different outlets, clean my charging point, and I have tried holding down the lock and home button for seconds - even minutes. I have been meaning to bring it in the Apple store, but the thing is I don't know if the warranty still applies since I bought it off of someone else and I have jailbroken the phone. I heard that Apple will not give me a replacement if they find jailbroken software on my phone so am I just screwed? I do not know the actual problem to my phone. It could be my home button not working, my lock screen button not working, bad charging port, or bad battery. I'm worried that if I bring my phone in a repair store (none in which are near me) they could charge me whatever they wanted if I said I was clueless on the issue. Does anyone have any solutions?

2. loganswan33 macrumors newbie

You should check the following components when you can't turn on your iPhone 5, 1. Battery 2. charging port or charger. 3. Power button

3. eben.he macrumors newbie

battery

how it the water indicator stick ,its that turns red? Cause water damage will cause this problem, but you can fix it by changing the battery. have you tried to connect your iphone with computer? if itunes can recognize this it means your motherboard its working.

4. apexi0000 thread starter macrumors newbie

And how do I exactly do that if I can't power on my phone? BTW, the phone was never touched by any sort of liquid or was damaged. It just sat in a single spot for months.

Yes, stated in my original post, I already said I tried plugging it into a computer and it didn't work. There are no indicators what so ever that my phone is turning on. I hear no sounds or see anything.

5. eben.he macrumors newbie

there is a tip from iphone 4s , phone cant turn on after battery drain... connect your iphone to computer ,open iTunes , wait 20-30 mins... Wish it can help.

6. eben.he macrumors newbie

Another tip heat your iPhone 's back with hair gun, around 30 Sec. then try to charge...

7. apexi0000 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried this method before. Made sure it wasn't too hot. Still doesn't work.

Yes, I have tried leaving it plugged into my computer with the cable and waited for hours to see if iTunes popped up. Didn't work.

8. apexi0000 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. nilzi macrumors regular

Do you know if your battery is ok? If your iPhone's battery had been dead, you just need to replace a new battery.

10. twitch6296 macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problem but I didn't charge it for only a few days. Any help???

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

12. kaserlopez macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with my cousins iPhone5 he used an iPhone charger that was not oem and it blanked out his screen, so I try to turn it on by doing all the procedures on the forums and still nothing computer wouldn't read it either, finally I ordered a battery replacement and replaced the battery after doing so the phone turned on due to the fact that the battery had 16% charge but when I tried to charge it it would not charge so I was stuck in the same situation.
    after that I did that I thought to myself well it's not the battery so it should be the charger port so I ordered a charger port replacement, replaced it, and still nothing so now I'm out of ideas maybe its the motherboard or something. the thing that got me stumped is the fact that when I replaced the battery the phone turned on so I know the phone works but it just won't charge.
    my mom also used the same charger and the same thing happened to her iPod touch 5 so now I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to fix the iPhone and whatever I do to the iPhone I guess I'm going to have to do to the iPod touch. anybody have any suggestions?

13. miehlv macrumors newbie

Hi, we have the same issue. I just dont know what to do. I already replaced the battery twice and i still got the same problem. Drained -> cant charge the phone nor turn on.

14. Help326 macrumors newbie

Hi. Good afternoon. I had the same problem and heres the thing. Is the motherboard. Alredy changed the charge port, battery. It is the motherboard, some motherboards are damaged on the factory and its normal that things like that happen, well. Heres my solution. Remove batery from device and charge it in another device. It has to be another iphone 5. Iphone 4, 4s 5s dosnt have the same port. I know sound weird but works. I did that because my warranty is over and i need my device. Work and etc.. The thing is that my wife sold she's iphone 5 and i've got a problem today.. My battery stays at the same percrcentage and internet says that i need to let the battery drain... Well i guess that shi** happens

15. Abhiishek macrumors newbie

Hi i also have d same issue. My phone drained completely nd it never charged after dat i used different chargers and cables nd did every thing dat people advised on different forums nothing helped. So i took my phone to a repair shop he changed d battery nd advised not to drain it till completely else it will again be dead again. He said since i used 3rd party charging cable some ic is damaged so it wont charge d battery one its completely go to 0% .So m also stuck wid same issue pls advice wats wrong with d device. And he said part cant be repaired coz id required part is not available.

16. Swirls7 macrumors newbie

I also have the same problem! I seriously need help! I was crying in bed because I was so said my iPod would not turn on or charge! I was recently at a water park today and had a water proof case. I saw that some water go in it and I had the plug-in the that keeps the water out of the earbud and charge plugs so it wouldn't get in. I got the water out and I was fine and working but a little weirder the normal. I won the iPod for a pizza contest so it was free and it wasn't much of my parents to buy except the case ($49.99) but you don't really get a warranty so it's bad. So anyways with the iPod... It was 20% so I left it the and swam... Well when we were about to leave the park I check my iPod and it won't turn on so I thought I was just dead. I go home and plug it in and I let it sit for about an hour on I go to turn it on and it has a bar that has so red on the left like in was starting to charge kind of. I was mad I let my dad fiddle with it... Won't turn on... Tried most of these tips on this page and still won't work!!! I need serious help! I really like this IPod because my sister destroyed my iPod 4 touch and now I have an iPod 5. If this will help I have an iPhone 4, my parents have an iPad and siblings have an iPod!!! Please help me!!! Any tips/suggestions!!!! And I've also had it for 3 weeks and used it 7 days. Please help!