iPhone 5 With 3D Camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wongster41, Apr 3, 2011.

1. wongster41 macrumors regular

Pretty interesting rumor...

http://www.geekwithlaptop.com/iphone-5-with-3d-camera

Apple is coming up with yet another new idea to the cell phone world. The future iPhone is said to have multiple cameras in ordre to provide 3D picture capability. Since the beginning of iPhones, Apple has always amazed us with something new on every version they’ve releasse. It is quite obvious that their new phone would carry on the legacy.

If Apple pulls this 3D deal off, then next iPhone will be the first of its kind to have this capability. The idea is to use two or more cameras at the back of the phone which will take pictures at slightly different angles and merge those in order to produce a 3D picture.

[​IMG]

It looks like the cameras at the back would produce a resultant 3D image with the help of integrated hardware. That means there is a very little chance of anything going wrong. Unlike the software approach, Apple’s hardware approach is a new patent suggesting its potential success and superiority.

Nintendo has released the 3D handheld gaming device called the 3DS that allows users to enjoy 3D without wearing glasses. Apple’s new phone with the said 3D capabilities is certainly not the lone player in the market then. But the basic difference will be that the Apple phone would allow its users to take both 3D pictures and shoot videos and also watch them while Nintendo’s device will only allow 3D gaming and taking 3D pictures on it.

We are eager to discover whether this is going to be a real implementation or just another rumor…

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Isn't that what the EVO 3D has? Meaning it's not a new concept at all?

3. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

The writer of the article is obviously a brainwashed Apple fanboi of the first order who has never heard of Android or the plethora of current Android phones shooting both 3D pictures and videos as well as allowing you to view them on the phone. It's magical.

4. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Dude, relax with all the trolling. The author of the article is poorly informed, not a "brainwashed Apple fanboi of the first order". I get that the article is wrong but seriously, go back under you'r bridge.

5. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

A writer of a tech blog and in particular an article about smart phones is not "poorly informed" about Android. The writer is "intentionally misinformed". Take that what you will.

6. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

3D camera? Sweet. But like I said, they could release the iPhone 5 that looks exactly like a 4, but has an 8 mp camera with the only change. (plus iOS 5) and people would buy it left and right.

7. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I think multiple cameras on the back of the iPhone would look stupid. Especially with a case.

8. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

ok, we need to place bets on what Apple is going to call this "magical and revolutionary new feature" on the next iPhone.

We know they won't simply call it a 3D camera.....

Any ideas?

9. nonameowns macrumors regular

so ***king what?

it's gimmick and not productive but a leverage to woo the average customers :cool:

10. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Iris Image.

11. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

So, can I watch Avatar 3D on it? If not, than it is boring.

12. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

While the concept may be intriguing, I don't see Apple adding a 3D camera soon...

13. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Same. With the exception of LTE (being that it is common knowledge quite a few carriers are building with LTE in the future) that's not their style. They don't generally release stuff that hasn't been proven, etc, for a bit on the market.

I don't see it happening. Especially since the only way to view said pictures would be with something like a 3DS display, or glasses. The 3DS has been getting 50/50 on the new "glasses free 3D technology" from people so I don't see it. Especially since something like 20% of the population couldn't even see the 3D anyhow (I'd have to find the real figure).

14. TheMacBookPro, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Both the SoftBank GALAPAGOS range (003SH and 005SH) and the NTT docomo LYNX 3D (SH-03C) feature parallax barrier 3D screens and one (1) camera which can capture 3D images.

To capture 3D images, one has to fire the shutter, then move the phone several centimeters to the right for the camera to obtain a sense of depth. It actually works as well as my JP 3DS.

If Apple does it this way- remember, they certainly wouldn't be the first to do it this way (although I have a suspicion that they would advertise it as so).

15. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    id quite like the idea of a 3d camera
    but a 3d retina display

16. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

the only way I would be cool with a 3D display on my phone is if I could turn it off. It kind of seems like it would cause a mess right now. I'm not all that eager to get 3D displays on my mobile devices. I'll admit the nintendo 3DS looks pretty cool but I would never buy one.

I can see it now- the government acts swiftly to ban texting while driving with your 3D glasses on.

17. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

No.
    No no no no no.
    NO.
    3D is a gimmick, nothing more. If I lose out on other features because some mamby pamby had to have 3D, I'm going to choke a kitten.

Please, think of the kittens.

18. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

i agree pure gimmick

19. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

EVO 3D has the well-executed 3D gimmick, and lost none of the important features. Not sure if Apple can pull the same trick as its significant product upgrades usually result in loss features in new gen A products (such as MacBook Air lost backlight keyboard after the redesign) :mad:

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

OK - it's not April 1st, so the OP must be serious. Zzzzz.....

Now, if Apple would synchronize to-do items from iCal to the iPhone, that would be worth noting.

21. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Amazing, most people make it through at least two paragraphs before it's clear that they have no idea what they're talking about. Good for you!

22. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

An iPhone with multiple cameras in the back?? Anyone else not see this happening at all?

23. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'd rather have longer battery life.

24. SS109 macrumors member

25. SharepointGuy macrumors member

SharepointGuy

I would much rather see Apple focus on increasing the front facing camera then even think about a 3D camera. I can't imagine the market for people who would use this consistently would justify the cost of research and development.