Iphone 5 with Google Maps

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by CSanchez, Jan 19, 2013.

1. CSanchez macrumors member

I just got a Iphone 5, it's my first Iphone and I like it with the only exception being the maps and navigation.

Is there any way I can make Google Maps the default without jail breaking it? Which I don't think exists right now?

Or is there a way I can use voice commands on the Google Maps app?

I've tried searching but I keep on pulling up stuff for older iphones and articles about how bad Apple maps are. I have not been able to find anything that can answer my question.

So if somebody knows I would appreciate the help.

Thanks

2. CSanchez thread starter macrumors member

I know I'm a newbie and this question might be dumb to some. But really, no answers after 500 views?

3. Garrett67 macrumors regular

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

The multi-step workaround is to ask Siri to navigate to a location "via transit". This will open a list of any transit apps you may have installed. Then, you touch the button for Google Maps.

5. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I still don't get why folks don't like apple maps. I use it all the time, works great in my area.
    I tried using google maps the other day looking for a doctors office mostly to try and get street view. Google maps found the wrong (old) address while apple maps found it in the correct location in its new address.
    I think apple maps is different and folks don't like it to be different. Then everyone has piled on so folks feel bad if they say apple maps works for them. Tim Cook apologizing was seen as confirmation. Stupidest thing he's done yet. Apologized without mentioning any benefits. Bad move.

6. CSanchez thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! I can work with this.

7. CSanchez thread starter macrumors member

I've used both and I have no bias towards Apple or Google and like I said I have a Iphone 5 and I like it. Like anything else, both have pros and cons.

I don't know what it is but Google maps simply gives better directions. I've had problems with Apple Maps when I encounter traffic because of an accident or construction. I literally downloaded Google Maps while I was stuck in traffic due to construction around me, it quickly found a alternate route that was 10 minutes quicker then the best route Apple was giving me. Isn't that what you would want from a navigation system? I mean yeah they both will eventually get you there but who likes sitting in traffic?

What's hard for me to understand is how it couldn't find a better alternate route but it was showing me every McDonald's and Starbucks around me along with reviews and information.

8. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I had the opposite experience a while ago with the website. Wanted directions, google routed me on a longer path with the maximum number of tolls. Apple maps came up with my shorter, preferred, non-toll route.
    Since then, google maps app has a toggle to make it avoid toll roads.

I had another case when I tried to use google maps and it routed me the most direct route, although it avoided the expressway and routed me through a very bad neighborhood. I much preferred the quicker, easier, although longer route apple maps came up with via the expressway.

Interesting that there seem to be such area differences. Although I know people in my area who also hate apple maps because they say it lacks points of interest. Although again, I haven't found that to necessarily be the case.