Carrier iphone 5 with ios9 unable to work with mac OSX 10.6.8

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by britpoprule, Oct 13, 2015.

1. britpoprule macrumors member

Hi there.
    I have an iphone 5 with ios9 and a white macbook unibody A1342 with Mac Osx 10.6.8
    Having said that, I guess you already know what I'm gonna say and ask. In order to sync the iphone with the mac it's required a newer version of itunes that unfortunately I cannot download. What I currently have is the latest version of itunes that my mac can run. I've been doing some research online and I've read users advising to downgrade to ios8, and users that advise to change the os of the laptop.
    What would you recommend me?
    Many thanks

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

You can't downgrade iOS. Apple is no longer signing iOS 8.4.1 and when Apple stops signing a version of iOS it is impossible to go back to it. And jailbreaking your phone won't make that any less impossible either. Not that you could right now.

You can either upgrade OS X, use a Windows machine or another Mac with a higher version of OS X, buy a new Mac or install Windows on your current Mac alongside OS X.

Those are your only options.

3. britpoprule thread starter macrumors member

I can't upgrade my OSX and if I could it wouldn't run well. I don't have a windows machine or another mac, or at least not every day or when I need them. It sounds like there is no solution.

4. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Have you tried calling Apple Support? I'm guessing you won't get a magical answer, but it might be worth a shot.

C

5. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

so you stick with snow leo, but upgrade iOS? that's a no-no :)

6. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Find an old copy of Windows and install it via bootcamp on your Mac then. Boot Windows, install iTunes and then you'll be able to sync.

7. britpoprule thread starter macrumors member

ios9 was already in the iphone5 when I got it. I would have never done the upgrade.

8. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Yes you can, I have El Capitan on my mid-2010 MacBook and it runs very well. If you're still running it as your main computer, I would probably invest in a RAM upgrade and an SSD at this point.

9. britpoprule thread starter macrumors member

Is your mac upgraded or it's exactly the same mac you bought?

10. ApolloBoy, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015

ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

I upgraded the RAM to 8 GB, I'm assuming yours still has the original 2 GB?

I should also add that I bought my 2010 MB used, and it had already been upgraded to 6 GB by the previous owner.

11. britpoprule thread starter macrumors member

12. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

I did actually, several times as a matter of fact. When I bought it, it had already been upgraded with a 750 GB hard drive. I upgraded that to a 1 TB drive, then to a 1 TB SSD (which now lives in my MBP), and finally to a 500 GB HDD (which was originally in my MBP).