Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meags

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
So, I did a very stupid thing and sent my android using boyfriend to buy a used iphone 5 from someone.

He brings me home a phone with the thickest screen protector I've ever seen and a sticker covering the home button. When I questioned why he didn't remove them, I got an "I thought it looked cool." response.

I noticed there was a spot on the screen when you pressed down like you would see on a tv or monitor. I don't know how else to describe it. So I ripped off the protector and button sticker to find a replaced screen with a soft spot (only way I know how to describe it) and a crooked a** home button. Also the phone was originaly black and now it's white.

I wouldn't be mad, but the guy lied to my boyfriend's face about what was wrong with it and sometimes it's like the screen stops acknowledging that I'm touching it. I have to hit the lock screen button and then home button to get it working again.

So, should I just sell to someone who wont be as pissed when i don't lie to them and try to get a new one? Or can I fix the screen by replacing it myself or taking it to someone? Whats more cost effective? It's a 64gb for Verizon. I bought it for $350. The issues are completely tolerable, I'm just disgusted that I got played even though it wouldn't have happened if I just gone myself.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
It possibly could be a quick fix with any of the repair shops that work on screen replacements.
I'd check into that option first before considering selling it.

meags

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
It possibly could be a quick fix with any of the repair shops that work on screen replacements.
I'd check into that option first before considering selling it.

When you say quick fix do you think they just need to look inside and tinker around or replace the screen? I guess I'm just wondering how little money I can put into it before it would cost me the same as buying another one around $450-500

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I recently had serious light bleed on my iP4 screen. Everything else was fine.
A screen replacement type shop fixed it in less than 20 minutes and charged $40.

Your issue could also be an easy fix.
(The last screen replacement I had done the guy fixed the non-working home button for free.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.