Iphone 5 with the new IOS 8.3

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by comda, Apr 8, 2015.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Greetings MacRumors!

I own an apple Iphone 5 and according to apple technicians is in perfect condition minus the chip on the top left corner. Sadly i dropped it the first time right before my apple care + ended. Other then that since i traded in my damaged on the battery and the guts are perfect.

However since ios 6, ive noticed longer boot times and some lag here and there when using applications. I found IOS 6 smooth. IOS 7 had its bugs at first but near the end they cleared up. IOS 8 i find more lag..

So what im asking.. To those out there who installed 8.3 how is the experience on an Iphone 5?

I dont want to sacrifice more speed. Thanks

2. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

So what ios do you have now?

3. I7guy macrumors G5

On my iPad 2 iOS 8.3, imo, is better than 7.1.2. This is a first when a new operating system is better than an old one.

4. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

I have IOS 8.2. I found 8 was decent, but 8.2 made it faster.. however ive already read many different reviews of more lag and others said less..

5. deviant macrumors 65816

i'm pretty sure 8.3 is a lot better than 8.2. the question whether to upgrade or not could've been asked if you were still on 7. but on 8 every update is a no-brainer.

6. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

elaborate on the no brainer.. Its worth the upgrade or is IOS8 so bad that its a no brainer to update to hope its better?

7. 2IS macrumors 68030

If you're already on iOS 8, doing the incremental (8.x) updates in my experience has never lead to a slower functioning phone. They are mainly bug fixes and in this case, some added features/functionality with the emoji's.

8. I7guy macrumors G5

I agree with this sentiment. Updates of the same version seem to go in a positive direction.

9. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

I have an iPhone 4S and i have no issues. Don't like the 5 and not keen on the 6 size. It should run great on the power of the 5.

10. mich070 macrumors regular

In my case i am still with my iphone 5 on ios 7.1.2. Is it worth updating to ios8.3 or not? I mean i don't want to lose on speed and smoothness on my iphone, as for example the iphone 4s did with ios7
    What are your opinions about the performance of the iphone 5 on ios8?

11. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

iOS 8.2 (and presumably 8.3 - haven't installed yet) is totally fine on both my iPhone 5 and my 5c. If anything, its actually a little smoother and faster than iOS 7 was.

Lots of nice refinements and improvements, too. There's no reason I can think of to hold out on upgrading.

12. mich070 macrumors regular

Sounds now stupid what I will say, just that on youtube there are videos showing that like the iphone 5 lost some speed performance because of the new ios version at apparently is a little bit laggish.. What about your opinion? How is your battery life, the same as on ios7? Thank you very much for your reply :)

13. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

I have an iPhone 5 w/16 GB and I've upgraded it to 8.3. I haven't had any problems so far.

Everything seems as good as ever. And a little more responsive.

14. deviant macrumors 65816

Both iOs and OS X always get released a little buggy, then dot updates come to fix everything and they always help. Just think about 10.6 and 10.6.8, 10.9 and 10.9.5, iOS 7 and iOS 7.1.2.

iOS 8 wasn't THAT bad for me anyways. If anything i actually welcomed it. Nice new additions (like iCloud photo library, family sharing [which are flawless on our devices] so i can't complain, and i haven't found bad bugs (for my use maybe? or on my devices?), so i'm alright. I'm still on 8.1.3 actually, lol.

15. NJFP macrumors 6502

On my iPhone 5, I did the OTA 8.3 from public beta 8.3 last night. Smooth, no issues. I had no issues with the beta, and so far today the final release is running flawlessly.

16. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

i have the iPhone 5.

updated to 8.3 yesterday.
    all is ok. no lag. no problems. i always update iOS by using iTunes, as it can make the backup of your system directly before updating.

additionally, apps such as Health and other apps finally are all working nicely.
    apple may have taken more time for the final release in order for 3rd party app developers to be able to make sure their apps work well with iOS 8.3.

also: 8.3 works well with the just released OS X 10.3.

like many other iPhone 5 owners we think that the iPhone 5 really is a great phone would like to see it survive as long as possible.
    i would like to continue to use it until 2016.9 when iPhone 7 (or 8) comes out. as there are no problems with it now.

17. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Here's a video on 8.2 vs 8.3 on the iPhone 5

https://youtu.be/jGA--tNQesw

18. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

I actually installed in saturday night. And i must admit im impressed. With all due respect to all the apple IOS fans, i love apple products, but since IOS 6, ive seen a lot of things go south. It seems like apple was trying to release their OS's as fast as possible without fluently making sure they run. I mean the whole ios 8.1 no signal issues and ios 7 was really slow and made my GF iphone 4 unusable intil ios 7.1 or 7.2 i think was released.

Anyways. The first thing i noticed and i was very happy with was the lock screen after the restart. It didnt lag when i tried to unlock it and the phone immediately logged in without any issues after i entered my password. Then messages began to send fast again apps are opening up faster.

Long story short it was worth the update. Thanks for everyones help here.

19. Imory macrumors 6502a

Smoother than iOS 7? You sure about that? 8.3 is definitely not as smooth on two 5S's I have and one 6. It's a step in the right direction, but 7.1.2 is on the verge of flawless compared to 8.3 in terms of smoothness.

20. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

I'm talking about on the iPhone 5.

But I also have no idea what you're talking about with the iPhone 6. My iPhone 6 is perfectly smooth for me no matter what OS it's running.

21. Imory macrumors 6502a

So am I. 7.1.2 on an iPhone 5 is faster than 8.3 on a 5S and iPhone 6.

Try auto-scrolling (tap the upper part of the screen) in a list of items. Be at the very bottom of list. A playlist, the top 150 apps in app store, recents in your phone, settings etc. The iPhone 6 will drop frames and sometimes it will do that by a significant amount.

The 5 on 7.1.2 basically never does that. It's constantly between 50-60 frames whereas the 6 can vary, vastly. It's gotten better with 8.3, but it's still not good enough.

But the most notable example would be for you to use the weather app on your 6. It will stutter, sometimes awfully bad, when you expand and collapse cities. The 5 never has that issue on 7.1.2.

I'm surprised you have no idea, since performance issues have been one of the main issues with the 6 and 6 Plus since they were released. An issue which has been noticed by many in the iOS forum.

22. mich070 macrumors regular

Hey did you actually compare ur iphone 5 on ios 7.1.2 with one on ios8.3?
    Do you think that it is a wise move to go from ios 7.1.2 to ios8.3? I really don t want to lose on speed performance...

23. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

I definitely don't see what you're seeing on the iPhone 6 with iOS 8.3. Scrolling is perfectly smooth and consistent for me, even scrolling through lists with thousands of items (like Mail). What app are you seeing dropped frames in?

24. Imory macrumors 6502a

I created a thread about it and it gained a fair amount of traction with users seeing similar issues. If you don't see it, then that's simply nothing that's going to bother you.

The auto-scrolling does drop frames. Try any app. Preferably something with a long list. Scroll down to the very bottom of the top charts (app store), then tap the upper part of the screen. 4/7 instances you'll see frames dropping. It has to be said though that things like these aren't what regular users care about, I simply notice it because I know how smooth it used to be, and the fact that I consume content with a high frame rate.

Use the auto-scroll and do it where it will automatically try to get back to the top as fast as it can. There needs to be a fair long list though. 15-20 items is not enough.

Did you experience no issues with the weather app?

I can't comment on mail since mine are only synced for 2 weeks.

The only app that is ridiculously smooth when auto-scrolling a very long list is Google Translate. That is pretty much constantly between 50-60 fps.

25. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The iPhone 5 on 7.1.2 is a much smoother, more responsive and generally happier beast than my 6+ on 8.3
    So having said that, I cannot for the life of me see how an iPhone 5 running 8.3 could be a better proposition.
    Unless you need any of the new features in iOS8 then I can see no reason to update. Apps are still supported on iOS7 and the phone runs perfectly fine with iOS7.