iPhone 5 with Verizon or ATT?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iNeed, Sep 6, 2012.

1. iNeed macrumors newbie

Hello all
    I have had both the iPhone 3G and 4 with ATT. My soon to be fiancé and I are thinking about getting a phone plan together. She has Verizon. I am thinking of making the switch with the iPhone 5 since my office building get almost no ATT reception, and Verizon people get reception. I was curious as to any differences between using iPhone with ATT vs Verizon. I know there was something about multitasking while on a call does not work with Verizon. I was wondering if there was anything else I should take into consideration.
    Thanks in advance

2. SR71 macrumors 68000

Multitasking on a call with Verizon will work if you're in an area that had LTE coverage. Just in case you didn't know, Verizon's LTE covers A LOT more areas than AT&T's LTE or HSPA+ network.

3. iNeed thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? I had not heard that was a feature with LTE. Thanks.
    It's just hard to switch because I have such a deal with ATT right now. $10 to add my phone to the group plan I'm on now, then $30 for unlimited data (which might not be transferrable to iPhone 5 LTE). Verizon would be ~$150 a month for me and her, so ~$70 for me...

4. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

IMO, AT&T if coverage everywhere isn't a huge deal to you. I don't get coverage in my local Walmart or the ER and my friends with Verizon do, but that's okay to me. A cheaper monthly bill and simultaneous voice/data is the deal-breaker for me.

5. SR71 macrumors 68000

Yep, that's one of the great things about LTE, and the next iPhone will definitely support it. The unlimited data cannot be transferred to Verizon.

6. mattwallace24 macrumors regular

Looks like AT&T took a big step today to catch up in LTE coverage by launching 7 more markets today and announcing 47 new markets to launch this year.

Still behind Verizon, but looks like most of the mid-sized and major cities will be covered by AT&T by year's end.

7. SR71, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

SR71 macrumors 68000

Thanks for the link, that was actually my source, but I couldn't find the link, but had remembered reading it a few days ago. Great article.

Eh, 7 markets is nothing, really. Whenever Verizon launches new LTE markets, they launch like 20-30 or more at a time, while announcing 20-25 areas that they have expanded LTE coverage in. So, compared to Verizon, AT&T's new launched markets are nothing. I'm estimating Verizon will announce another 40-50 markets by years end. Hell, back in August Verizon lit up 34 new markets with LTE, while expanding in 38 new markets. In July Verizon lit up 46 new markets with LTE, while expanding LTE coverage in 26 other markets. That's one hell of a rollout.

So in the span of 2 months, Verizon has lit up 80 new market, while expanding in 64 markets that had LTE coverage before. That's more new markets that Verizon has lit up in two months than AT&T plans on doing by the end of the year, which still isn't for 4 more months. By that time Verizon will have even MORE markets that they've expanded in. When you look at it, AT&T is going VERY slowly with their rollout. Verizon is being VERY aggressive with their rollout... AT&T, not so much.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You should be asking yourself. What are your needs/wants/priorities? We can't tell you that.

Simultaneous voice & data !=- multitasking. A device can multitask on Verizon even if it can't handle simultaneous voice & data.

9. Legios macrumors regular

I see At&t balking at many things verizon justs lets happen like them wanting to block facetime on 3g or the whole text thing.

10. noteple macrumors 65816

Consolidating your phone plans will make you both happy.
    Adding reception where there currently is none will make you happy.
    The addition of expanded LTE service and speed will make you ecstatic.

I would say switch

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Really boils down to coverage where YOU live, unless you travel a lot. If it is a wash and you get a discount with AT&T, I would stay with them.

12. iNeed thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the link. I followed a link on that page to the root metrics website. I will almost definitely be switching Verizon. :) I downloaded the app and will upload my speeds to them so they can see how bad ATT is at my work.
    I do travel a bit since I am a USSF and NISOA soccer referee. I actually had to go to a college for a game that was in the middle of nowhere. My map greyed out and I got lost on my way home adding an extra 33% of time to my trip. Town had detour signs which got me all turned around and couldn't find my way out with my iPhone. I had to call home and ask them to guide me with their computer. :( made me upset ATT and now this data shows I definitely should switch. Thanks again to all of you with your insight and help