iPhone 5 won't restore 1611-1603

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Redsand187, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Redsand187 macrumors member

I broke the screen on my iphone 5 so I tossed in a replacement. However, now the phone is stuck in recovery mode. I keep getting 1611. I followed the steps I found online about switching usb ports and all that jazz. I even switched from my MCP to my iMac. Then on the iMac I got a 1603. I removed the SIM as I also read often fixes the issue. Then it returned to 1611. :(

It was working fine with the cracked screen. I don't think I messed up anything, it was a straight swap.

Does apple still do the $199 replacements? :(

2. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

It's $229 for an iPhone 5 but if by 'tossed in a replacmeent' you mean you did it yourself' beware. If they figure that out you are on your butt. You voided your warranty and you can't even buy a replacement. So be careful what you say to them about what happened.

3. Redsand187 thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to swap the broke screen back in and see if that makes any difference.

Is Apple the only one that honors the $229 replacement, or will AT&T or an Apple Authorized seller do it too? I'm a couple hours away, but I do need to bring my iMac in too. :(

4. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

AT&T only covers if you have their insurance. As for a AAS, only if they are also an AppleCare iPhone service center cause that's the only way to get the parts

5. Redsand187 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the fast response.

I swapped the original screen back in, and was I able to restore the phone. I then put the aftermarket screen in and it worked perfectly. :confused: Maybe I didn't get a good connection. But it's working now. That's good enough for me. :D

6. Miss.Crittie macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 restore error 1603

Same deal here a client tried updating their phone after getting their screen repaired interstate whilst on holidays and whilst I did successfully get it to restore once it ended up freezing on the slide to unlock screen and after a hard reset I was back to where I started so I swapped the screen with a damaged genuine screen I had here and voila it successfully restored their new screen is now reinstalled but now I am concerned whether this will be a reoccurring issue with every update and also if it is happening to all ip5's that have had a screen replacement... I'm going to keep researching this issue myself for my own piece of mind if I find anything interesting I will update the thread :)

7. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Cool. Problem solved. :)