Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Well I don't think I have seen anybody else mention this, but as I was thinking about the next iPhone.

It makes sense that they increase the RAM, and processor obviously, and probably the camera to higher quality, especially after reading some of the posts on this site.

But they may also change the interface for it to charge, switching it up to thunderbolt. As they increase the memory of the smart phone, they will need a faster way to transmit data. Also with thunderbolt, you could charge the phone faster.

It would also be another selling point for thunderbolt and get that going. I mean I expect it to be still have connections for USB and what not to charge, but come on it would be nicer for faster charges and syncs. especially those lucky few with new pros, get to really love :apple:

I mean it sounds like a no brainier when you think about it but I haven't really seen anyone speak of the possibilities this could provide.

I mean with such fast data transfers, you could use the iPhone as an accessory to your computer. I mean a clever person can probably think of some cool things you could share between the 2 when interlinked.

*EDIT* With the latest thunderbolt issues and updates coming along, apple has been having issues with the thunderbolt. That could be explaining the delay of the iPhone 5, they have been making sure it will be compatible without anymore problems from the start.

Last edited:

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Not a chance. They'll have to remake all accessories.
Third party manufacturers would be pissed that their already-out products aren't compatible.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Not a chance. They'll have to remake all accessories.
Third party manufacturers would be pissed that their already-out products aren't compatible.

Well i dont know enough about thunderbolt to know if they would have to change the pin adapter, but I mean it could still work with usb, and what else not. You just wont get the full performance obviously.

You could still use what they have if they keep the same pin configuration.

I mean thunderbolt already requires new accessories, that didn't stop them from releasing that.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Well I don't think I have seen anybody else mention this, but as I was thinking about the next iPhone.

It makes sense that they increase the RAM, and processor obviously, and probably the camera to higher quality, especially after reading some of the posts on this site.

But they may also change the interface for it to charge, switching it up to thunderbolt. As they increase the memory of the smart phone, they will need a faster way to transmit data. Also with thunderbolt, you could charge the phone faster.

How would it charge faster? And it;s not confirmed that there will be an increase in storage capacity. Faster syncing would be cool, but most computers don't have thunderbolt yet. Is it backwards compatible with USB?

It would also be another selling point for thunderbolt and get that going. I mean I expect it to be still have connections for USB and what not to charge, but come on it would be nicer for faster charges and syncs. especially those lucky few with new pros, get to really love :apple:

I mean it sounds like a no brainier when you think about it but I haven't really seen anyone speak of the possibilities this could provide.

I mean with such fast data transfers, you could use the iPhone as an accessory to your computer. I mean a clever person can probably think of some cool things you could share between the 2 when interlinked.

I think the wireless syncing capabilities of iOS 5 would easily shadow Thunderbolt. A lot of people wouldn't benefit from it anyway.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
How would it charge faster? And it;s not confirmed that there will be an increase in storage capacity. Faster syncing would be cool, but most computers don't have thunderbolt yet. Is it backwards compatible with USB?

I think the wireless syncing capabilities of iOS 5 would easily shadow Thunderbolt. A lot of people wouldn't benefit from it anyway.

well thunderbolt not only has a faster rate of transfer but it also pumps out more energy, this is one of the reasons why it can work faster, usb 2.0 sends more energy then usb 1, and the same applies for the usb 3.0, you can experience this when you plug in a current usb flash drive in an old usb 1 computer. It will tell you insignificant power to run device. So it can charge faster.

Well thunderbolt doesn't necessarily need to be backwards compatible. The pin connector of the iPhone w/thunderbolt would need to be set so it can accept either source. It is not that difficult, the ipod does not use USB or thunderbolt connection, it has its own pin adapter. So all you would need is a USB to iPhone pin adapter or thunderbolt to iPhone pin adapter cable for it to sync.

I know it is not a necessary, especially with few thunderbolt users. But come on, this is apple, they have it on their finest laptops, moved it to their desktops this is obviously what they want, it only makes sense that they allow for the rest of their devices to receive an improvement.

I mean having the possibility to sync and charge faster, come on who wouldn't like that?

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
*EDITED*

I edited the post explaining that the iPhone 5 may have been delayed do to the issues Apple has been having with thunderbolt working.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
well thunderbolt not only has a faster rate of transfer but it also pumps out more energy, this is one of the reasons why it can work faster, usb 2.0 sends more energy then usb 1, and the same applies for the usb 3.0, you can experience this when you plug in a current usb flash drive in an old usb 1 computer. It will tell you insignificant power to run device. So it can charge faster.
As far as I know the battery can only charge at a certain rate, this is a limitation of the battery technology, not a limitation of the charger. I could be wrong though.

Well thunderbolt doesn't necessarily need to be backwards compatible. The pin connector of the iPhone w/thunderbolt would need to be set so it can accept either source. It is not that difficult, the ipod does not use USB or thunderbolt connection, it has its own pin adapter. So all you would need is a USB to iPhone pin adapter or thunderbolt to iPhone pin adapter cable for it to sync.

I know it is not a necessary, especially with few thunderbolt users. But come on, this is apple, they have it on their finest laptops, moved it to their desktops this is obviously what they want, it only makes sense that they allow for the rest of their devices to receive an improvement.

I mean having the possibility to sync and charge faster, come on who wouldn't like that?

Sure, it's a possibility, but I just don't think it will be added this time around, especially with the emphasis being put on cutting the ties to a computer altogether in iOS 5.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
In order for the battery to charge faster it would have to accept a higher voltage and wattage rate. This has nothing to do with a charger or charging method. A battery can only be maxed out at a certain level. iPhone and iPad maximum currently is roughly 10watt...Unless that has changed recently.

greenchiliman

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Chicago
I think it they were concerned about data transfer, you would have seen Firewire ports in the previous iterations of the iPhone.

Voting no way on thunderbolt for iPhone 5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.