iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hakr100, Oct 7, 2011.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

Well, I was going to switch from my Android HTC Incredible to an iPhone if the new iPhone had a larger screen. It doesn't, so there's no urgency. I'll wait a while longer...though a couple of questions come to mind.

1. Do android smart phones and iphones use similar amounts of memory to run themselves and various apps? I have a lot of apps on my android phone and they all seem to work properly even though the phone's memory only has less than a gig of space. It also has 8 gigs of app storage space, I believe, and I also have an 8 gig SD card.

2. If memory usage is about the same on android and iPhones, and the base iPhone unit has 16 gigs of memory, for what would one use the additional memory available in the 32-gig or 64-gig iPhones?

3. I have a nice older Ipod...is the iPod function on the newer iPhones about the same? Same sorts of features, same good fidelity through earphones?

Thanks! :confused:

2. theperipheral macrumors 6502

You would use the memory for pictures and video that you take with the camera. IF you're only using 7 or 8 gigs on your current phone, and you don't take video or pictures, then you might as well go with the 16 gig.

The iPod app is perfect.

3. shadrap macrumors 6502

There is no guarantee apple will change the screen. Remember they think differently and are not going to follow the status quo.

If battery life and screen quality are going to degrade. They may not change the size.

4. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

They should be similar. How much ram is on your android now?

Just an fyi - memory is not storage. You nailed it in question 1 of your but in 2 it seems like youre confusing the two. I only point it out because we had a professor that would fail us for the entire semester if we confused them, even once.

5. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I believe my Android phone has 1 gig of memory for computer usage. It also has 8 gigs of internal memory on which to store programs, photos, whatever, and I stuck an 8 gig card in it, too. I've downloaded and run some videos on the phone from time to time and they seem to work properly.

----------

Thanks...despite all the apps I have on my android, I don't seem to be using more than a gig of the available program/data storage memory on it.

It's just me, but I don't much like taking camera phone photos or videos. I have a nice Canon digital SLR and Canon digital pocket camera on which I can take pretty good photos. The thin digital phones, android or iphone, and viewfinder-less viewfinder for photography (if you get my meaning) and I are not ergonomically matched, if you will! :D

If I were dictating future iPhone/Smartphone upgrades, I'd like a 4"+ viewing screen, a screen that could be easily read outdoors in bright light and louder and higher quality sound out of the built-in earpiece. that's probably why no one invites me to cell phone focus groups!