Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GaiaAero

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
I have my sources.

images

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
Wow another one of THESE threads.... do you kids ever get tired of trying to be the center of attention by starting these pointless threads? Why not just add it to all the other iPhone 5 threads?

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
Why does the general public anticipate the next device, "iPhone 5"... then they get the new iPhone (4S) , and now they're waiting for another iPhone 5?

unknw.gif

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Why does the general public anticipate the next device, "iPhone 5"... then they get the new iPhone (4S) , and now they're waiting for another iPhone 5?

You mean like when the 3G went to the 3GS then another 4 came out?

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
3G, indicates that the advertised service is provided over a 3G wireless network.

The iPhone 4 was the first time they began to put the number in the title. And it has to match with the generation.

If they call it the iPhone 5, it has to be the 5th generation or they'd be lying.

Since the 4S is the 5th generation, the next iPhone cannot be called the iPhone 5.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
3G, indicates that the advertised service is provided over a 3G wireless network.

The iPhone 4 was the first time they began to put the number in the title. And it has to match with the generation.

If they call it the iPhone 5, it has to be the 5th generation or they'd be lying.

Since the 4S is the 5th generation, the next iPhone cannot be called the iPhone 5.

? How would they be lying? It's a name and can be called anything they want too.

If they started using the generation with the 4 then what happened with the 4s? They forget they were using generations?

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
I'm sorry, they wouldn't be lying it would just be misrepresentation.

Yes, they can call it anything they want it to. But some things are more likely than others.

What happened with the 4S?

Whenever we've seen the S, the model has always been visually similar to the model that came before it. That why they need the S. so you can tell the difference. Is it a 4 or a 4S? Is it a 3G or a 3GS?

Some people think they skipped iPhone 2 and called it a 3G. They could skip iPhone 5 and all it A6. And they should.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
THIS JUST IN

The new iPhone will be called the iPhone 4GS5
It'll have:
  • Retina display with a resolution of 1920x1080!
  • A 32-core Apple A9000!
  • A 200 Megapixel Camera!
  • Siri 2.0, which is now self aware!
  • 500TB Hard Drive!

And you should totally believe me because I know this for a fact and have all the proof in the world to back this up.

---------------------

Seriously, anyone can just say stuff. Unless you're Apple, Nobody's going to believe anything you say.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Just about everything the OP listed is what I have on my wishlist, minus the design. I really have no problem with that. Perhaps one or two of these things will actually be implemented.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
One reason I never bought an iPhone is because the 3.5" screen is just to small. I had a HTC droid Incredible for the last year and a half. That was a great phone but even to me the 3.7" screen on that phone was to small. I now just bought the Razr Maxx and I'm loving the 4.3" screen, crazy battery life and 4G. The iPhone needs a 4.3" or bigger screen. I think one reason apple keeps the screen small is so people will go out and buy the iPad. I would say the iPhone 5 will have the same specs as the iPad 3.

jarvijarv

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
SoCal

Agree, it's the iPhone (6th generation). Man, I'm in a dilemma! I bought the iPhone4 when it came out in mid 2010. I lost it in Dec. 2010. Rather than pay the high cost of replacing one while still under the 2yr contract, I decided to just get a cheap 'dumb' touch phone. Now it's Feb. 2012, and like many people I'm now eligible to upgrade to the $199 iPhone4S. I've been dying to get my iPhone back! But the thing is the iPhone (6th generation) is set to be revealed around mid summer 2012. And history has shown, this one will be a most likely a total redesign with a larger screen. I've waited over a year!!!….what's a few more months…aarrgghhh, the torture, lol!!

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
One reason I never bought an iPhone is because the 3.5" screen is just to small. I had a HTC droid Incredible for the last year and a half. That was a great phone but even to me the 3.7" screen on that phone was to small. I now just bought the Razr Maxx and I'm loving the 4.3" screen, crazy battery life and 4G. The iPhone needs a 4.3" or bigger screen. I think one reason apple keeps the screen small is so people will go out and buy the iPad. I would say the iPhone 5 will have the same specs as the iPad 3.

images

alphabetagaga

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Hitchin, UK
Agree, it's the iPhone (6th generation). Man, I'm in a dilemma! I bought the iPhone4 when it came out in mid 2010. I lost it in Dec. 2010. Rather than pay the high cost of replacing one while still under the 2yr contract, I decided to just get a cheap 'dumb' touch phone. Now it's Feb. 2012, and like many people I'm now eligible to upgrade to the $199 iPhone4S. I've been dying to get my iPhone back! But the thing is the iPhone (6th generation) is set to be revealed around mid summer 2012. And history has shown, this one will be a most likely a total redesign with a larger screen. I've waited over a year!!!….what's a few more months…aarrgghhh, the torture, lol!!
wow forget the contract. if you want an iphone that bad then buy a sim free one and sell it on when the next model you want comes along. they hold their value well

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012

Yes, just enjoy your phones while you can- when the new phones come out, we want to be surprised. Who can forget the magic of the first iPhone unveiling?
thumbs.gif

jarvijarv

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
SoCal
wow forget the contract. if you want an iphone that bad then buy a sim free one and sell it on when the next model you want comes along. they hold their value well

Yes, good idea! But I would have to shell out around $400, money I definitely can use elsewhere. I can wait, thank God for my iPad!!! :apple::D

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

So MS is lying because there haven't actually been 359 previous iterations of the Xbox? Nice try.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Interstella5555 said:
motoleo said:

So MS is lying because there haven't actually been 359 previous iterations of the Xbox? Nice try.

I'm sorry, I should be more carefule with my strong word use.

Everyone has their own ideas, but I'll bet that it won't be called the iPhone 5..

I'll give you props if it is though..

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Will have
4" retina
Redesigned slim and sexy build. Stronger and more durable too unlike before.
Quad core chip
1gb of ram
LTE
Longer battery life.
SIRI will be out of beta and it will be even better.

I don't see this being TOO far fetched.

I think the screen will without doubt be 4"...I think even Apple now realizes that 3.5 is NOT the sweet spot. I hate big screens on phones, but 4" can be achived without increasing the current phone size. And I think 4" wil be just enough to make browsing/reading so much better.

It will be totally new form factor. No doubt there.

I doubt it will be quad-core. Although I think quad-cores would increase battery life.

Personally, I think the 4S battery sucks. And even for the people who have good battery life, it's too inconsistent. Definitely think there are big issues that have to be resolved concerning the battery. So here's hoping the next iPhone isn't any worse.

Siri being out of Beta is the only thing that won't happen...But I believe it will be "better"...And most likely a lot better in terms of integration.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
Yeah, I just checked. There won't be an iPhone called "iPhone 5".

1st gen - iPhone
2nd gen - iPhone 3G (not 3, 3G)
3rd gen - iPhone 3G-S (take note)
4th gen - iPhone 4 (this works because the last iPhone was the 3)
5th gen - iPhone 4-S
6th gen- ....iPhone 6

Just like there was no iPhone 2, there's no iPhone 5 coming out.

It's important to look at the update of the OS with each new release. It matches.

That makes no sense. Why would they completely skip a number. That would confuse so many people. If anything it will be iPhone 4G or LTE. I still think it will just be called iPhone 5 though. Who knows... guess we'll see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.