iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by schilpped127, Mar 6, 2013.

1. schilpped127 macrumors newbie

I have a Verizon iPhone 5 that I bought from a friend he had a plan and couldn't afford it anymore so he got it turned off. Would I be able to use this phone as a prepaid phone? And how would I get a sim card for it?

2. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

You could use it on AT&T, T-Mobile, or one of their MVNOs. You have a lot of options. How much do you need in terms of minutes/texts/data? Do you know how good the AT&T or T-Mobile coverage is where you live?

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

being a verizon phone, its already SIM unlocked. just pick which GSM prepaid carrier you want to use and pop the SIM card in and youre ready to go.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

??? Is a Verizon iPhone 5 GSM? I thought it was CDMA? Am I wrong?

5. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

It's both, just like Verizon uses both CDMA (for 2G/3G) and GSM (for 4G). You will only be able to use the CDMA side for a Verizon postpaid account. You can use the GSM side (SIM) on any GSM provider.

6. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

yea it has both GSM and CDMA radios in it. you can use it on Verizons CDMA or if you unlock it, you can use it on any GSM carrier, both foreign or domestic. the only thing is that it only has foreign GSM LTE bands, not ones that cover AT&T. but you can still get EDGE/3G/HSPA+ with it.