iPhone- 50 reasons not to buy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevep, Nov 4, 2007.

1. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

The Sunday Times 4th Nov 2007 have a full page article about the iPhone (and the proposed Google phone)in their Business section. They also provide a link to this page:
    http://timesbusiness.typepad.com/money_weblog/2007/10/50-reasons-not-.html
    I'm not sure it's a completely informed piece of writing, though the author has made an attempt to be objective.
    (apologies if you've seen it before)

2. metoo6000 macrumors regular

I can accept first 16 reasons. Rest of them are rubbish IMO.

3. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

is this really a reason not to buy the iPhone?

4. calculus Guest

calculus

Well, he doesn't even give 50 reasons does he ...

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

6. erandall38 macrumors 6502

16. Only 8GB storage: Ok, ok, it's the biggest storage capacity of any phone on the market, probably, but 8GB (about 2,000 songs) is still pretty limited when you compare it to the likes of the ipod which can boast 40GB or more.

is this guy serious... many flaws you can point out in this article. But this guy can not be a paid writer... right? This is rediculous.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I think most of those "reasons" are pure garbage but I do think the iPhone is going to find the European market tougher than the US one. Having said that, if it had 16GB like my touch I'd be very, very tempted (having used the touch it has completely changed my opinion about the iPhone...)

8. Project macrumors 68020

"39. The iPhone doesn't look as good as the mockups did before the actual launch."

I mean, wow.

9. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

he even links a CNET review where the iPhone beats the N95 over :s

10. Project macrumors 68020

Not sure about other countries but I bet you it will be a big success in the UK. The thing hasnt been released yet and EVERYBODY I know knows about it and is interested in it. These are not Mac users or geeks. Just regular consumers. The interesting part is nobody has mentioned EDGE to me... it just is not an issue for the masses. And this enthusiasm is also being seen by friends of mine who work in CPW/O2 stores. They number of enquiries they are having about the phone is unprecedented.

I am sure you have had many people drool over your Touch too. The viral/word of mouth aspect can't be discounted.

While I obviously don't expect the iPhone to hit double figures in market share, I can easily see it taking 2-5% of the UK market. And when Apple is looking at 1% marketshare globally, these UK figures would be higher than their target.

11. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Reason #1. Steve Ballmer doesn't like it.
    That's a reason to NOT buy something? Did I miss a meeting where Steve Ballmer became some sort of guru of good, useable, well designed technology?

12. stevep thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevep

I'm not sure about the 'everybody' bit, but it certainly has generated a lot of interest, and that includes very favourable press coverage. The '50 reasons' blog is just a tongue-in-cheek excuse to post some Youtube videos, but it does illustrate some of the views of those who are less well informed about the iPhone.

I bet that the iPhone will make the national 6pm tv news in the uk - I may be wrong but I don't recall Nokia ever doing that.

My forecast - plenty of sales pre-Christmas, slowing rapidly after, followed by an Apple price cut in the spring, and an O2 tariff price-cut in a year. Sorry - gone completely OT.

13. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    It's not 50 reasons, its just a mess of disjointed points with a misleading title and an <OL> tag around them.

This is just a gag. I'm not sure what kind of paper the Times is, but if their business & technology sections are related I guess it makes sense. If they HAVE a technology section, this article shouldn't be linked from the business section. iPhone generates hits... like this thread is generating... seems clear they want to maximize it.
    It's interesting... we're going to find out the deal in 1 year, aren't we?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHnVRW9tL1M

It's amazing the amount of misinformation being spread about this. Oh no! My battery will be DEAD after 300-400 cycles??? Oh, no! This may be as short as one year??? Gasp! Then Apple will charge me MORE money to replace it, and will take my iPhone from me???

1. 300-400 *full* cycles, means complete discharge and recharge
    2. Most people say this amounts to around 2 years, before the battery capacity becomes 80% as effective as the day you purchased it, it does not become "dead"
    3. Yes, just like you'd buy a replacement battery for another phone, you'd need to buy a replacement battery for the iPhone. You'll be able to get it done by Apple, or a number of other vendors who'll charge you less and will even give you tools and instructions for doing it yourself if you're so bold.

Sigh. A-MAZING. This article came out long AFTER Apple clarified the thing about 80% capacity. It's like no one bothers to verify anything anymore if they have a television segment to try to promote.

~ CB

14. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

Haven't you heard? Steve Ballmer is the new P. Diddy of tech trends.

He's even going to announce his name change during his next major appearance at a convention to create all kinds of hype in the media for him. You can call him. "S. Ball"

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    He just said "considerations", someone else tacked on the "reasons not to" link.

Almost every owner will send it to Apple to get the battery replaced.

There's no good excuse for the battery thing. Over $100 to replace if you get a loaner iPhone, plus the hassle of driving or shipping and restoring everything afterwards.

Other phone owners simply buy new batteries for $10 off eBay (or super extended batteries for $50) and pop them in, taking TWO SECONDS.

16. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

That, right there, is the number one reason to buy it if that is indeed the case. Anything to annoy heart-attackman is good by me. Gates is Gates but Ballmer, he's a grade A dipstick.

17. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Wow. Since when are "considerations" and "reasons" different things? I'm not sure what degree of pedantry could transmogrify the sentence "Frankly, I don’t think so, but here are 50 other things you should consider before parting with your cash" into something that cannot be translated into the article's title "50 reasons not to buy an iPhone".

reason - noun - The basis or motive for an action, decision, or conviction.

Again, you don't KNOW what you're talking about. At best, you are guessing at the future, and if I were a betting man, I don't think its a good bet.

Let's assume that after 2 years, your iPhone (or my iPhone, whichever) will be at 80% capacity. Will I send it in to get replaced? No. I likely won't notice. Also, what makes you think the term "iphone replacement battery" won't be drawing high bids in Google adwords come early to mid-2009? There is already a number of kits available, you realize?
    http://store.kokopellimusic.us/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=800&Redirected=Y
    These are truly poor arguments in my opinion. Ask yourself this singular question. Do most people ever replace their cellphone batteries, whether it only holds 80% of its original charge capacity or not?

My statement is this...

MOST people will never replace their
    cellphone battery, EVER.

I remember the first cellphone I ever bought, I purchased a replacement battery, with the full intent of keeping it charged as a quick replacement. This strategy has died away over the years of new phones, as a waste of my money (I rarely ever remembered to keep it charged... its like buying a new inkjet cartridge and holding onto it for 6 months opened). Better money is now spent never letting my phone run low on juice at all. When its in my car, its connected to my FM transmitter, and charging (I had purchased the FM transmitter for my iPod, now works great on my iPhone). When its on my desk, its in its cradle, and fully charged when I leave the office (it makes a wonderful photo frame and the audiobook covers are nice to look at as the reading pumps through the lineout in the back). When I'm on the go, or forgetful at night, it usually takes 1-2 days for me to remember to charge it again, but as I get in my car, its back on the FM transmitter again.

I disagree this is an issue almost ALL iPhone owners will deal with (I don't think even MOST iPhone owners will deal with it), but I do like "fencing". :) I would say that maybe 10-15% of iPhone owners will ever send the phone back to Apple for battery related issues. The highest I would guess would be 18-20% if something goes wrong. Once the phone changes hands, the percentage increases though as you extend the life of the phone out 4-5 years. I still have my original, working 1G iPod. I almost don't want to guess at its charge capacity, but I was stunned that my sister went onto eBay, and got replacement parts for my old 5G iPod I gave up with the purchase of my iPhone.

Average consumers will have little problem changing the iPhone battery if they can at least change the time on their VCR.
    EDIT: The above statement is incorrect. With the battery soldered onto the main circuitboard, it isn't really for everyone if it comes to it.

~ CB

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

He didn't say "reasons NOT to buy", emphasis on the REASONS NOT. Someone else added that. He said considerations BEFORE buying, which implies things to think about.

Never said you would have to. Simply said that it's highly likely that most people who do need one someday, would send theirs in to be replaced... at a much higher cost than necessary with other phones.

PS. I often buy used phones without batteries. It's nice to be able to just get a replacement off eBay for a few dollars and pop it in.

19. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

There just fussy since they had to wait so long for the best phone made so far.

20. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've been using mobile phones for 18 years and have never bought a replacement battery - I think the whole "battery isn't replaceable" thing has been blown out of all proportion

21. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Good for you, but there's clearly a huge industry selling replacement batteries to somebody :) Heck, there are over 32,000 for sale on eBay right now.

Quite a few people I know keep a spare around for camping trips. Quite a few others buy extended batteries for daily business use.

Matter of fact, I'm about to get my son-in-law a 2400mAh replacement for his Treo, that fits in the same space as the original 1400mAh. Amazing. (There's also a 3200mAh replacement, but it needs an extended door.)

Wouldn't that be wonderful if the iPhone had the same ability to so easily expand its battery life?

23. HTrig macrumors member

actually this has already happened. just a few hours after the iPhone was originally announced they had a really nervous looking apple employee on answering questions. so i don't know whether this will affect the chances of it being on the news again.

as for the response the phone will meet in the UK im not that optimistic. here most of the people ive talked to about it absolutely love the idea of the iPod touch but the iPhone is more of a joke. this is mainly due to the poor rates of O2 as well as all the fuss over updates causing unlocking and jailbreak problems.

im not saying everyone is like this (i know im gonna have to think hard before deciding either way) but there are a large number of them

24. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

25. Project macrumors 68020

Then buy a battery pack.