iPhone 5C/5S on Sprint cannot do data and voice at same time?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by PracticalMac, Nov 16, 2013.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I know on older iPhones they could not do voice AND data at same time on Verizon (CDMA).

Since Sprint is also CDMA, I am confirming the same limitation,
    AND with even the new iPhone 5C it too cannot do data+voice simultaneously.

2. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

That's correct. It's a CDMA limitation, and is not something Sprint or Verizon just chose not to allow. Don't believe the AT&T commercial that said they "allow" it vs. the providers that "don't". BS.

It has nothing to do with iPhone, Android, whatever. It's a CDMA thing. That's not to say CDMA is inferior to GSM, this is just one con in comparison. GSM has its bad qualities as well.

What works in one area of the country may not work in another. You decide which carrier suits your needs best, and pay that mob boss the dough. Oops, I mean you pay that carrier.

3. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Thanks, so what is GSM limitations vs CDMA? I don't doubt it exists, just do not know of them.

Love that comment I bolded. So appropriate! I hope Apple will change it.

4. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

You hope Apple will change what? If you mean you hope they'll make things cheaper... they might, but ultimately they are still in the business of taking money from you to put into their pockets.

Back on topic, CDMA voice calls are generally of higher quality than GSM. That has been my experience, anyways.

5. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

No, that Apple makes it so all phones are unlocked, and more choices besides the 2 year contract are offered, like what T-mobile started.

Better voice quality makes sense.