iPhone 5c compared to 5 impressions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobright, Feb 3, 2014.

1. bobright macrumors 601

Has anybody used the 5c alongside or replacing an iPhone 5? Someone is asking me for advice on it I've got a 5 and it's fast enough for me but never used a c. Do you think the 5c is good for an older person who isnt very tech savvy and just wants something a little more modern to text or browse the web occasionally? Is it about as fast as the iPhone 5 or more like a 4s?

I'd recommend it if it's just as durable as most other iPhones which usually last years....unless there is some catch as to why they are offered a lot cheaper

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

the 5c has the same internals as the 5. only difference is the physical appearance of the phone.

3. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

This... It runs exactly as the 5 does. Same speeds which is still very very fast

4. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Wrong.....

5. cynics macrumors G4

Why not identical is say it's close enough.

------

OP: I think an iPhone including the 5C is perfect for what you are looking for. Bought my mother an iPad for Xmas and she loves it. She's not tech savvy either and was just looking for the same functionality you are.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

How's that wrong? They're essentially the same hardware. Are you saying he's wrong because two seemingly identical iPhones are like two seemingly identical snowflakes?

7. iamMacPerson, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014

iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Oh yes. Adding BSI to the front camera, making the battery a LITTLE bit better and changing the case makes it an ENTIRELY different phone.

Its 90% the same as the iPhone 5.

Most of the time, you can find the 5c at almost the same cost as the 4s, so if they don't mind the plastic shell and 1 year old hardware, go for it. Its still a very capable smartphone.

If you have a Fry's nearby, they always have sales on iPhones after the holidays. I'm not sure about the 5c, but they have the 16GB 5s for $120 on contract. $80 savings!!

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's pretty much it. It's certainly no worse than 5 as far as performance (same CPU, same GPU, same RAM, etc.), and might be a tiny bit better in overall sense compared to 5 given a somewhat better LTE chipset, slightly larger battery, and a slightly improved front camera.

9. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

As others have said it is pretty much the same phone internally so this choice would be down to aesthetics. I personally prefer the look of the iPhone 5 but they are difficult to get hold of now unless you have second hand :)

You forgot to finish your sentence unless you were just trying to be unhelpful.

10. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Love the 5c! It's rugged (in comparison to 5 & 5S) it's nice to look at especially given the bright colours and it's generally nice to hold with a bit of weight to it. You know it's in your pocket!

I went into the apple store with the intention of getting a 5 think I missed the boat as it was discontinued but once I saw the blue and green 5c I was literally sold!

11. mr99 macrumors 6502a

Had a 5c, now using a 5. The 5c is EXTREMELY SLIPPERY and I hated that about it. I always felt like it was going to slip out of my hand.

12. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

The 5c is ugly. Its not that its plastic; I liked the 3G/3GS and black MacBooks, but its like Apple tried to cut costs and skimped on the shell in the process. The 5c is not selling like Apple wanted according to the earnings call. They had to cut production of it because of the surplus they have.

I'll be honest, I have seen some people at the Apple Store buying 5c's, but they sell nowhere near as well as the 5s.

13. mattopotamus, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I think the 5C has a slightly larger battery and a slightly different (better) camera.

Personally, I love the way the 5c feels without a case. If they made the 5S in a plastic shell, I would have chose that over the current 5s

14. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

A downgraded camera from the 5?

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

sorry, I meant the 5C has a slightly better front camera. I think it is only noticeable using facetime.

16. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

The 5C certainly does stir up emotions, the good; the bad, and the ugly- unlike any other iPhone, as this thread and others just like it, prove.

17. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

For me I actually find the 5c to be a better device. That's only because I don't like the design of the 5/5s. Therefore I believe the 5c to be better then the 5 and the 5s better then the 5c in terms of hardware. In terms of design I'll take the 5c any and everyday. I just don't like the 5 or the 5s.

As far as the battery goes it is bigger, but I can't tell a huge difference, but I can tell a difference in the front camera

18. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I have the 5, girlfriend has the 5C.

5C has noticeably less grain in low light scenarios, as if Apple drastically improved the image processing.

Definitely thicker and feels like an old plastic device though.

19. rockitdog macrumors 68020

My wife has a 5C and it's a very solid, well put together device. I'll always favor a solid feeling metal device though over plastic any day.

20. mr.bsmith macrumors newbie

Lets not forget that the 5C supports more LTE signals than the 5. Making the 5C more impressive when swapping out sims and getting LTE.

21. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I've seen some people mention that the color on the 5c fades over time. If that's true, I would imagine that is very disappointing to their owners.

22. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

If it's an option I would give this person your 5 and pay them to get you a 5s. They won't miss out on anything if there no tech savvy and you would have the latest and greatest

----------

I wouldn't doubt that this could happen but it's only been 4-5 months. By no means should it be happening yet unless you beat the crap out of your phone

23. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Nope, that's all I wanted to say. Just keep reading the thread.

24. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't the lacquer layer prevent this???

25. hummus macrumors member

I felt like this at first, but once some fingerprints/oils from my hand accumulated on it it is no longer slippery. Even if I wipe it so that I can no longer see any prints on it it is still not slippery like it was at first.