IPhone 5c from eBay - new??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KG3, Nov 16, 2015.

1. KG3 macrumors newbie

I am looking at getting an IPhone 5c from an eBay seller who lists the phone as brand new. I asked the seller several questions being:

Q Is it refurbished iPhone 5cc?

A This is not a refurbished iPhone, it is an original, unused, genuine sealed in box unit

Q Why has the apple warranty expired?

A The apple warranty has a timeline that needs to be activated before the apple care plan becomes void. Regardless of the warranty, the phone is still good as it is new and unused hence why we put our exclusive 12 month warranty for the phones.

Q Is this an Australian tick phone?

A The iPhone 5c is not certified for the blue tick program

Q Are all accessories genuine AU accessories?

A The accessories are genuine Apple however the plug is an international one with AU converter.

Based on these responses I presume it is a brand new grey import hence why the apple warranty is void. Would my assumption be correct? The seller has sold hundreds of phones. Some of the negative comments are in relation to receiving non AU accessories, nothing in relation to it being second hand or refurbished.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Warranty begins when its first purchased by a retailer. Because this guy isn't a authorized seller for Apple Products the warranty started whenever he purchased them.

3. laudern macrumors 6502a

It sounds like a grey import. I'm assuming (fairly confident) that Since it's a grey import that is why they provide their own warranty in replacement of Apple's. The forgien charger is the big tip off.

4. KG3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that is my thoughts too. The missus needs to replace her dying 4S so we are looking at getting a brand new iPhone for the cheapest price and the 5c on eBay look good for ~$330.

5. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

I would recommend Gazelle. They sell like new used phones with a 90 day warranty. You can get a 5c for around $200. You should seriously consider the 5s for a little more at $250. It's a lot faster and touch id is worth the difference alone.

6. nox5 macrumors 6502

7. ARizz44 macrumors 6502

ARizz44

Have you tried Swappa? I have had a lot of success using that site.

8. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Sentiments exactly.

9. KG3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Worth noting is that I'm from Australia and AU$330 for an IPhone 5c with 12 months warranty is a good price. Phones are expensive in Australia in comparison to US. Iphone 5s with 12 warranty is about AU$460.

10. laudern macrumors 6502a

Yep the second hand iPhone market is ridiculous here in Australia. Apple have continually increased the price of each successive iPhone so that means the previous generation doesn't need to be reduced as much to make a difference in price.