iPhone 5c IMEI issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skrank, Nov 9, 2014.

1. skrank macrumors newbie

I bought a iPhone 5c on Craigslist, I know not the safest transaction method out there but I was desperate after running my old phone through the washing machine... When I got the phone the guy showed it working on AT&T so I figured great it hasn't been locked. Before I went to the ATT store I decided to double check that the IMEI was clear, because my purchase was a bit sketchy. Turns out the IMEI was bad and the phone was listed as blacklisted. After getting no repose from the seller I decided to take it to the store and see if they could do anything about it. When I went to the ATT store to get a new sim he entered something on the computer to make sure it was valid on the network and it came back as clear. Everything works great except I do not have LTE. I spoke with a support representative online and she said they had my device ID wrong and they needed the IMEI to activate it.

My question is if I give the IMEI to ATT will it cause them to blacklist my phone?

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I would say theres a 90% chance it will get black listed...if it worked with a different ID and they want the new one (of which you are sure is blacklisted) then it'll probably get blocked....couple of threads on MR about blacklisted iPhone's and it never ends up as a happy story for the buyer :/

3. NewsBot macrumors newbie

NewsBot

With ATT sometimes the phone will look clean and actually work for a while. Once the system realizes that the phone is blacklisted your phones connection will be turned off and render the phone useless other then wifi.