iPhone 5c not recognized on Power Mac. help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cognus, Mar 7, 2016.

1. cognus macrumors newbie

some of you know these ropes far better than I: iPhone 5C not really recognized by an older PPC Mac G4 running Tiger 10.4.11
    The Mac had a prior owner and I don't know how exactly it was setup account-wise but I created a new user account, got that setup generically, deleted old accounts. iTunes works but can't tell if it is tied to an account or not. On first run under new account it looked like initialization to me.

when iphone plugged in by USB to back of the 'box', it gets power, the device is 'seen' but it will not talk to itunes, sync, etc.

???

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

iTunes is too old on PPC to see it. This is "expected".

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

As Mr_Brightside_@ indicates, it's age.

iTunes 10.6.3 is the last version of iTunes that runs on PowerPC Mac and that's only on Leopard 10.5.8, not Tiger. If you have a 30-pin device running iOS 6 or less then you can sync, but if you have a device requiring a lightning cable (even if it's iOS 6) then you have to have an Intel Mac.

If you have a 30-pin device and you upgrade to iOS 7, Apple cut you off on PowerPC. iTunes 10.6.4 and above, which are Intel only, are the only versions that will support iOS 7 on a 30-pin device.

If you have ANY device that will run iOS 9 you are even more screwed. Because Apple does not support devices running iOS 9 on Intel Macs running Snow Leopard. In order to sync with an iOS 9 device you need either a PC or a Mac running Lion or higher.

So, your options are a Mac running Snow Leopard minimum (assuming your 5c is iOS 7 or 8), a Mac running Lion (assuming your 5c has iOS 9) or a PC (or Intel Mac running Windows).

Sorry, but you can't do this on a PowerPC Mac.

PS., for the record, my main Macs are PowerPC. I only own one Intel and it's Snow Leopard max. But I have access to PCs and other Intel Macs as well as running Win7 on my Intel MBP. So, I've got options for my 6s+.

4. cognus thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, that's about what I suspected
    I appreciate the expertise a bunch guys.

we'll let this one go cheap!
    c