Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
There is more to a device than the processor.

The system-on-a-chip determines overall performance. The architecture that a specific iOS version was written for is native.

Though a clearer, less disputable way to put it is: which system-on-a-chip an iOS release was optimised for.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I am upgrading right now my iPhone5 from 7.1.2 to 8.1.2 / I really hope I made not a bad mistake that I will regret later on. I can tell about it later...

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Update: after playing around with my iPhone under 8.1.2 I actually find it faster then before. That is soo strange. I was scared about this update. But now I cannot really complain.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
The system-on-a-chip determines overall performance. The architecture that a specific iOS version was written for is native.

Though a clearer, less disputable way to put it is: which system-on-a-chip an iOS release was optimised for.

Yeah and iOS 6 was optimised for the A5 in the iPod Touch 5 and iPad Mini 1 thus it was native to those devices. iOS 5 was released with the A5 iPhone 4S and the iPad 2 also A5 was released with iOS 4.3...

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Don't get deceived by the faster animations!

You think that makes it feel faster ? Actually whatever it is - if it feels faster it is great

BUT

I have updated my iPad Air now as well - that one shows a lag when using the keyboard ! Thats not good. My Air was perfect before. I hope this is just a initial issue.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
You think that makes it feel faster ? Actually whatever it is - if it feels faster it is great

BUT

I have updated my iPad Air now as well - that one shows a lag when using the keyboard ! Thats not good. My Air was perfect before. I hope this is just a initial issue.

We are way past initial issues as iOS 8 is into it's 5th month and 8.2 and 8.3 are already in works.

Apple has deliberately kept the keyboard lag at specific places on Air 1 to degrade the performance and entice people to upgrade to Air 2 in frustration.

No two ways about it.

sw6lee

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2013

BUT

You made a big mistake updating ipad air to ios 8.1.2. It runs fine on iphones, but on ipad mini 2, ipad air 1, and even older ipads, ios 8.1.2 is not smooth at all. Quite frequent stutters here and there, and i hate the expeirence on my ipad mini 2, compared to my iphone 5c.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
I think maybe its a matter of opinion. I see it as the lowest version of an OS that the device can run, as its hardly native to the device if it never ran the software. There is more to a device than the processor.

There is indeed, but most are recycled. The 5C is literally the 5 with plastic guts and some very very minor improvements. Any iPod touch has been built with previous components from iPhones (SoC, cameras, etc...). Even the iPhone 6/6+ use the iPod touch 5G design, protruding camera and all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.