Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428359286.816472.jpg
Gotta love it lol
I'm gonna call apple about it, because this is just unacceptable. My friend with a 5c a month older than mine is having the same issue. I hope they can do something about it even though it's a month out of warranty.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Have you tried restoring the phone yet? I do this about once every other month to keep the "Other" directory from chewing through my storage space (I use iTunes Match, which can leave garbage data behind that only a device restore will delete), and I think it helps keep the device running reliably. My typical battery life on my 5s is 5-6 hours, and this has stayed fairly consistent through different iOS versions.

Another suggestion would be to change the background app refresh and location services settings. Apps that aggressively poll the GPS will drain the battery very quickly. Just from a two hour bike ride, the GPS app I use to track my route will drain the battery by 30 percentage points. That's with the phone on standby the entire time.

The 5c did not have a battery recall, and the recall for the 5 only affected early production units manufactured during a specific period. That doesn't preclude your phone from having a bad battery.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The high Lock Screen power usage is likely notifications. If you receive a lot of these, the screen will be turning on in your pocket and burning your battery every time one comes in.

I'm surprised Apple doesn't use the proximity sensor to keep the screen off when notifications come in with the phone in your pocket. It'd be trivial to implement and probably save noticeable battery. As an example, for me, a busy Telegram group chat with notifications enabled can burn quite a bit of my battery away over a few hours even if I'm ignoring it.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I have do not disturb on pretty much all day, as I'm at school, and I have everything I possible can turned off. I might try a restore, but I'm not too keen on it, since the times I've done it before it hasn't turned out so great and I just don't want to lose my stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.