iPhone 5c random power off issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gibbiem, Sep 17, 2015.

1. gibbiem macrumors newbie

Anyone else get this?

About two weeks ago my iPhone 5c just powered off. When I tried to turn it on, it gave me the plug in charger image. So I did. When it came back on, the battery was still in the green and about 70%.

This has been a repeated issue since. I've reset settings, reset the whole thing. Flashed iOS 8 again and updated to iOS9.1 beta and still doing it!

Phone is out of warranty now, dont really want to have to pay for a repair or anything.

Any ideas on what I can do/try?

Thanks

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Even if you're out of warranty, you can call Apple and they'll text you something to download which will run diagnostics on the battery. Alternatively if you were to take it to an Apple Store they wouldn't charge you for the assessmen, and would generate a quote that you'd have to agree to before you spend any money.

I only say this because it does sound like the battery's failed and you've tried everything to verify it's not a software issue.

3. gibbiem thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi mate, just ran that diag and you're right, battery service needed! Any idea of a rough cost? I would assume it would be a battery swap?

4. gibbiem thread starter macrumors newbie

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Well you could do it yourself (about £10 for the parts and about 10 years worth of stress) or take it into Apple. If memory serves it's between £40-60. They did it on my housemate's 5S but they couldn't service it, so they just replaced his phone for the same cost with a refurb. I suspect that the battery may have expanded which is why they couldn't do it, but there's nothing to back up my statement ...

To be honest it's a little fiddly so it's up to you. I always err on the side of caution, bite the financial bullet and go directly to Apple, though there are certainly posters here who would vehemently disagree and suggest doing it yourself.

Naturally if you do it yourself they won't cover you due to unauthorised third-party repair.

6. gibbiem thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah thats what I'm thinking. I used to work for Sony Ericsson and seen people trying to fix their own phones and make a mess all the time! Its just gonna be a massive pain in the back end to get to an apple store. Could have this kit in a few days. Also, the screen on the phone has lifted about .5mm up at the top of the screen. Not sure if this is related, but again, based on my experience, will Apple say that needs repaired too which then bumps up the cost?

7. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

It's just a flat fee for the battery replacement or any other work, providing there's no water damage or anything like that. Hmm the battery may have expanded if the screen's lifted up a tiny bit, though again this is just stipulation. If you call Apple they may offer to collect and sort it out if you can't get to an Apple Store.

8. gibbiem thread starter macrumors newbie

Swapped the battery myself yesterday! Ordered a Darktop one from Amazon on Thursday and it arrived yesterday, swap it really straight forward. Only tricky bit was getting the screws back in the screen cable shield can!

9. gibbiem thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, not sure if I'm just imagining it, but I'm sure the overall performance of the phone has improved too!!