iPhone 5C - Recommended?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ormuz, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Ormuz macrumors newbie

Hello;

I want to introduce a relative to iOS, but I won't purchase a high end phone just yet (and the person in question does not like the complexity of smartphones). Would an iPhone 5C be enough? Nothing fancy would be used , just the occasional Youtube video, texting, probably Candy Crush.

Would you still recommend this phone?

I'm deciding between this iPhone or a Moto G 3rd gen.

Thanks,

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I'd say 5S or higher, 5C's CPU is pretty long in the tooth these days IMHO.

3. Zorba macrumors regular

Zorba

Of course it will suffice for the things you mention. But maybe a second hand or refurb iPhone 5S will be a bit more future proof, plus you get the convenience of TouchID.

Other than that I think the 5C is a very nice phone, love the colors.

4. Merkie macrumors 68020

If you can get a 16GB 5C for a decent price then imo it's fine. However, most 5C's are only 8GB and that is really limiting. Perhaps you could get a 5S.

5. hamiltonDSi, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015

hamiltonDSi macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi

My mom is not a power user.
    She bought the 5c (shatterd her old iPhone 4) in May and after upgrading to iOS 9 in September she complained about the phone's poor performance.

She just order a Space Grey iPhone 6 a couple of hours ago and the 5c is on eBay for sale. She uses Messages, Mail, WhatsApp, Facebook and Youtube. Nothing complex or CPU heavy.

Go for the 5s.

6. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

The 5C will groan and creak its way to do what you require - today. But, within a year, once more and more app developers bulk up their apps to expect the 2GB RAM in the 6S/6S+ for smooth performance - your 5C will suffer quite a bit. So, unless you are getting the phone for free (or < $25); I wouldn't buy that.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yeah I would at least try to find a used 5s if possible. The 5c is also the most prone to glass shattering of modern Iphones.

8. neile45 macrumors regular

I have a 5c 8gb, and I love the OS, but can't stand the lack of space. I can't keep anything on it. I have very little apps, if I want to go on facebook, I go thru Safari. The phone works fine, but the battery life is not great. I'm saving money right now to buy a 6s or 6s plus unlocked.

9. CE3, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015

CE3 macrumors 6502a

I agree with the others who say definitely don't go with the 8GB 5c. I was quite satisfied with my 16GB model, battery life was excellent for about a year and a half, and then average after that.

Honestly, just based off specs and price, if I were choosing between this and the Moto G 3rd generation as a gift, I would probably go with the Moto G. A brand new and unlocked Moto G will cost about the same as a used 5C. The phone is much newer, and the customer reviews on Amazon indicate most people are happy with the device.

The 5C was a good phone and seems to run iOS 9 well enough, but it's a little past its prime now and won't be the greatest introduction to iOS.

10. Dented macrumors 6502a

The 5c was fine in its day but I think that day is past now - for the processor alone (and specifically the 64bit compatibility) I would go for a 5S minimum, it'll be a more pleasant phone to use for longer.

11. Subwaymac macrumors regular

Subwaymac

Problem is these type of people keep the phone for years so I think a iPhone 6 would be best