iPhone iPhone 5c Stutters on iOS 8 GM

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
Serious bug encountered.

Phone language is English. But App Store is completely in Hindi language. I have not selected Hindi in keyboard selection.

Will do full erase and try again.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
ios 8 beta 5 ran soother than ios 7 in 90% places on my iphone 5
just about to install gm. lets see. but i dont think so it should be slow..

try fresh install
Yup. Fresh Install.

To replicate the sluggishness, go to Weather App, add 2nd location and switch between the two by tapping the three lines at the bottom right.

Keyboard typing is also slightly laggy.

After reset, the App Store is again in English. :)

Maybe it's indexing files and stuff?

abhi0n0nakul

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2014
delhi,india
Yup. Fresh Install.

To replicate the sluggishness, go to Weather App, add 2nd location and switch between the two by tapping the three lines at the bottom right.

Keyboard typing is also slightly laggy.

After reset, the App Store is again in English. :)

Maybe it's indexing files and stuff?
yup tried it on beta 5 ,
added 4 cities.. no lag on transition..
i fear maybe its gm..lol
my download is about to finish, will see then

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
iOS 8 GM is certainly a bit slower on my iPhone 5 than iOS 7 was, but it's much improved from beta 5. Scrolling and loading in many third party apps is noticeably more lag, however.

Still, quite a bit better than the last time I used a new version of iOS on two-year old hardware (iOS 6 on the iPhone 4).

abhi0n0nakul

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2014
delhi,india
oh sorry my bad.. was transitioning side to side..

read again now..
yup seems like little lag..

but keyboard has been dead stable for me..
in any particular circumstance it is laggy??

----------

i know its so soon but how is the battery compared to beta 5 and ios 7?

i know it might be less than 7 , but what about b5??

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
After using iOS 8 on my 5c for an hour, I must say that it is very underwhelming experience. It is noticeably slower than iOS 7.1

I never tried any betas so my impression is of GM build. Lag has been introduced at random places. I think the experience has been adjusted in such a way to make iPhone 6 appear butter smooth and make people upgrade.

Even the wallpapers are uninspiring and boring. Seems like Ive and Cook trawled some wallpaper websites and selected a few off them.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
After using iOS 8 on my 5c for an hour, I must say that it is very underwhelming experience. It is noticeably slower than iOS 7.1

I never tried any betas so my impression is of GM build. Lag has been introduced at random places. I think the experience has been adjusted in such a way to make iPhone 6 appear butter smooth and make people upgrade.

Even the wallpapers are uninspiring and boring. Seems like Ive and Cook trawled some wallpaper websites and selected a few off them.
The lag isn't intentional. It's just a product of new software on older hardware. Under the hood, iOS 8 is significantly more advanced than iOS 7. I suspect that the updates from 8.0.1 through 8.1 will help improve performance on older devices.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
The lag isn't intentional. It's just a product of new software on older hardware. Under the hood, iOS 8 is significantly more advanced than iOS 7. I suspect that the updates from 8.0.1 through 8.1 will help improve performance on older devices.
Ughh- A6 is not 'old'. Apple still sells two of them. Its a little unfair that the 5C should run iOS 8 badly as it is its first update.

The 4S ran iOS 7 very well, so hopefully the 5 runs iOS 8 very well.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Ughh- A6 is not 'old'. Apple still sells two of them. Its a little unfair that the 5C should run iOS 8 badly as it is its first update.

The 4S ran iOS 7 very well, so hopefully the 5 runs iOS 8 very well.
It may be the 5C's first update, but it's the A6's second update. And no, the A6 isn't "old", but it's older than the A7 and A8. You can't expect similar performance from a slower device.

That said, it's not really slow on my iPhone 5, there's just a few apps in which I notice more lag. Apps which are not yet updated to support iOS 8, I might add.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Doesn't seem noticeably worse than iOS 7 was on my iPhone 5.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
Doesn't seem noticeably worse than iOS 7 was on my iPhone 5.
The first thing I noticed was lag compared to iOS 7.1 on 5c

5S seems to be slightly better on 8 GM but even it appears to be laggy at some places. I am updating my iPad Air to 8 GM and will rant again.

TrenttonY

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2012
At least they fixed the portrait to landscape with the keyboard up in messages lag. This was in all iOS 7 versions, this shows they're working on performance.

Edit: It was smooth, after restart it is laggy again.

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
You guys need to give your phones a couple days to finish up everything. Starting from scratch with a new OS theres a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes that isn't readily apparent.

Yun0

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
working good on my iphone 5 a1428, & i did an upgrade as usual. i have all apps off for background refresh though & always have since ios 7, other than that everything is enabled, push, gps etc

5 & 5c have the same hw with the exception of the 5c battery & antenna, misc small things none that affect performance i dont think

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
The first thing I noticed was lag compared to iOS 7.1 on 5c

5S seems to be slightly better on 8 GM but even it appears to be laggy at some places. I am updating my iPad Air to 8 GM and will rant again.
This is a massive shame that the 5S can't handle iOS 8..... Needs more time in beta?

The 5 ran iOS 7 just as well as iOS 6, and that was a complete design overhaul...

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
This is a massive shame that the 5S can't handle iOS 8..... Needs more time in beta?

The 5 ran iOS 7 just as well as iOS 6, and that was a complete design overhaul...
It's exactly as intended. If old phones starts running smoothly on latest software, who will upgrade?

We definitely need a point release 8.1 to bring the performance level upto 7.1

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

The 5 didn't run ios 7 just as well as 6, at least certainly not 7.0.