iPhone 5c water damage, black screen, sound & Siri works

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Stevenlam367, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Stevenlam367 macrumors newbie

A while ago I dropped my iphone in a pool it was in there for about 3-4 seconds, when I got it out if had black and white lines on it. It then got really hot. When I got home it placed it in rice and let it sit for about 3 days. After I charged it and I found out that the sound works and Siri works, I could also call people with Siri and I could pick up calls with sliding my finger where "answer call" is. The only problem is at the screen is totally black. Help please

2. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Even if it functioned fully after sitting in rice it's likely to fail eventually due to corrosion.

Best bet is to take it to an apple store and get it replaced. $50 if you have apple care plus, 179 for oow if you don't.

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I managed to smash my 3GS, and although these are different scenarios, the end result seemed to be the same - my screen didn't turn on but I could still slide to answer calls.

You may want to try replacing the screen yourself - a guide can be found here.

However, that's assuming the screen is the only faulty component. Liquid damage often takes a while to fully affect the phone, so you may be chancing it a bit. If it were me, I'd get it replaced by Apple - unfortunately, it's the only thing that will guarantee a working phone.

4. WildBill9478 macrumors newbie

This means either the backlight on the screen assembly or backlight coil on the logic board is damaged. Let's hope it is just in the assembly. Most of the time if you order a new LCD/digitizer and replace it, it will fix the problem. An easy way to tell is to borrow a screen from someone else that has a 5c and connect it just long enough to see if it lights up. If it does, then order a new assembly (around $40 for a "cheap" one) and install it. Or have a professional do it for you. If it doesn't light up, you have bigger problems and apple probably will not replace it. Sell it for scraps and start over. Either way, the screen is still working but you just can't see it. If you hold it up to a light and look closely, you'll be able to see it.